ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Boxer editor 14 released - paid upgrade, $29.00 - text wrap at last

(1/5) > >>

rjbull:
Boxer Software have just released version 14 of their Boxer editor.  It's a paid upgrade; $29.00 to existing users (if I read it correctly, of any Boxer Software product, not just the editor) or the full price of $59.99 otherwise.

... we're pleased to announce Boxer 14, which adds dozens of new features to the editor you already use and enjoy:

VISUAL WRAP - also known as word wrap - is a passive display mode that wraps long lines to the window width, or to another user-defined margin. This makes it easier to work with files that have just one newline at the end of each paragraph.  The new Soften Line Enders command can be applied to a text file which has unwanted line enders, thereby making the file "flowable" and eligible for Visual Wrap. The Harden Line Enders command does the opposite: it converts soft line enders to hard line enders, effectively "locking" the current on-screen formatting into the file.

USER-DEFINED TOOLBAR ICONS - it's now possible to assign user-defined icons in BMP or ICO format to any of the commands that reside on the toolbar.  A collection of 64 sample icons is provided, and you're free to use others you can find or create.  Some users may wish to assign distinct icons to any User Tools or Macros they've placed on the toolbar, which would otherwise share the same icon.

XML FORMATTING - This new feature can be used to apply and remove formatting from XHTML and other XML-compliant text files. If you've ever opened an XML file and seen one long, flowing line extend off the right edge of the screen, you'll appreciate this new feature.  Format XML adds newlines and indentation intelligently to any XML-compliant file to create a neatly formatted document. Options are provided to control the amount of indent, whether to indent with spaces or tabs, when and whether text and tags should be wrapped, when to suppress newlines, and other formatting nuances.

EFFICIENT LINE NUMBER DISPLAY - Boxer will display its on-screen line numbers using the minimum number of columns possible, expanding and contracting the line number margin automatically if the file's line count grows or shrinks.

... and many more.  See the full list here:

http://www.boxersoftware.com/changes14.htm

Please note that Boxer 14 is fully compatible with Windows 7.

--- End quote ---

I abandoned Boxer mainly because it didn't have text wrap.  $29.00 is quite a lot to pay to get it.  It's a powerful editor, of course, but I'm not a power user  ;)

AndyM:
$29.00 is quite a lot to pay to get it
--- End quote ---
I've been using Boxer for a long time.  $29 (half-price) is an excellent price for an upgrade.

f0dder:
Heh wtf, boxer hasn't had wordwrap until now? O_o

cyberdiva:
I think what's being described must somehow be different from wordwrap.  I used Boxer for many years before switching to UltraEdit, and I'm 100% sure that Boxer had wordwrap then.  I wouldn't have been able to tolerate a text editor without that very basic feature.

tranglos:
I think what's being described must somehow be different from wordwrap.  I used Boxer for many years before switching to UltraEdit, and I'm 100% sure that Boxer had wordwrap then.  I wouldn't have been able to tolerate a text editor without that very basic feature.
-cyberdiva (March 03, 2010, 06:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

The feature is described as new in the quoted part of rjbull's OP, and indeed it seems to be plain old word-wrap. Could it be that Boxer only did hard-wrapping before, i.e. inserted linebreak characters where lines wrapped? (That would break a lot of file formats, and in the scary old days there used to be editors that did that.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version