topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:53 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: A story about "real programmers"...  (Read 6483 times)

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A story about "real programmers"...
« on: March 03, 2010, 02:22 PM »
Hopefully some of you haven't read this before. It is apparently an old classic on the Internets, but I hadn't read it until today. I'm not a developer myself, but I'm in IT, so I think I "get it" enough to appreciate what this guy could do (and how crazy it is :D).

http://www.jargon.ne...t/TheStoryofMel.html

- Oshyan

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: A story about "real programmers"...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 03:52 PM »
I didn't plow through the whole article because it brought back painful memories! I can remember my fingers aching after a day of hard coding.  Punching all those little holes in paper tape.  If the tape rips in the middle of a program, all the lights in New Jersey go out!! And then there's the paper cuts!!

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 10:57 AM »
It is a good story, the related article Real Programmers Don't Use Pascal has some fantastic quotes.

Here's a hilariously 'out of time' paragraph from it

In some companies, text editing no longer consists of ten engineers standing in line to use an 029 keypunch. In fact, the building I work in doesn't contain a single keypunch. The Real Programmer in this situation has to do his work with a "text editor" program. Most systems supply several text editors to select from, and the Real Programmer must be careful to pick one that reflects his personal style. Many people believe that the best text editors in the world were written at Xerox Palo Alto Research Center for use on their Alto and Dorado computers[3]. Unfortunately, no Real Programmer would ever use a computer whose operating system is called SmallTalk, and would certainly not talk to the computer with a mouse.

nishadds86

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 01:25 PM »
The computer has a lot of advantage.The academics in computer science have gotten into the structured programming rut over the past several years. They claim that programs are more easily understood if the programmer uses some special language constructs and techniques. They don't all agree on exactly which constructs, of course, and the example they use to show their particular point of view invariably fit on a single page of some obscure journal or another-- clearly not enough of an example to convince anyone. When I got out of school, I thought I was the best programmer in the world. I could write an unbeatable tic-tac-toe program, use five different computer languages, and create 1000 line programs that WORKED (Really!). Then I got out into the Real World. My first task in the Real World was to read and understand a 200,000 line Fortran program, then speed it up by a factor of two. Any Real Programmer will tell you that all the Structured Coding in the world won't help you solve a problem like that-- it takes actual talent.

3of0

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 06:17 PM »
Yes, the story has been around for a while.  I still love it. :)  Thanks for sharing it, I'm saving it and posting it in my cube. :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 06:49 PM »
Obviously a real programmer wouldn't edit anything. He'd have an electronic keyer like the Ham Radio Operators use.  A dit is a 0 bit and a dah is a 1 bit.  He'd sit there and key it in "stream of consciousness" style, directly into the instruction queue.

Bella_Jones

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 09:43 AM »
 :) hmm... there is over what to reflect, I guess

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 09:49 AM »
Obviously a real programmer wouldn't edit anything. He'd have an electronic keyer like the Ham Radio Operators use.  A dit is a 0 bit and a dah is a 1 bit.  He'd sit there and key it in "stream of consciousness" style, directly into the instruction queue.

Personally, I prefer to just wave a magnet over the hard disk surface to set all the bits to the values required to store the program I am writing :mrgreen:.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 01:09 AM »
If the tape rips in the middle of a program, all the lights in New Jersey go out!!

So, you were the one that did that?