ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Amazon.com == AMAZING!

<< < (5/7) > >>

tide:
I use Amazon a lot and have done so for many years. Their customer service is top notch and is something to consider when picking a merchant.

Recently, I had ordered a couple of books and was told to expect delivery on a particuar date. On that date, I checked with "where's my stuff" and learned that it was "out for delivery."  Later, in the evening and noting they still had not been delivered to me, I checked again only to find out that the package had already been delivered. Thinking that one of my neighbors had taken delivery, I asked them about it and, no, none of them received the package.

I called Amazon's service department and it was eventually determined that UPS had mistakenly delivered the package to another part of town. Amazon's response was to send out a duplicate expedited order which I received two days later - at no charge!

I'd call that exceptional service.

hhdawrs:
I am also a long time and big fan of amazon.com; wherever possible i order from them.

Their shipping (especially prime) is extremely fast, and their return policy is excellent.

I do think josh is going too far in talking about the savings of free shipping when ordering heavy items; when you order something from an online-only store, and they are willing to give you free shipping on a very heavy item, you can bet that heavy items are already priced to include most of the shipping costs.  The only sensible way to compare the savings when using amazon prime (which is like $79 a year) is to look at how much you would pay if you ordered through amazon, but without Prime.

Amazon Prime is, however, great for impatient people since you do get free upgrades to 2 day delivery and cheaper overnight delivery].
-mouser (March 03, 2010, 02:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
FWIW, I ordered from ROADRUNNERsports via Amazon, the item price was less than other googled sources, it weighed 32 oz., and shipping to Hawaii was via Priority Mail and free.  I think all items from them ship free.  Perhaps this instance will help other sports fans.  I have no ties to Amazon or ROADRUNNERsports.

Innuendo:

* Few, if any, items they sell are actually sold by Amazon.  Instead, they are a gateway for other stores, not unlike Ebay.  They do not, however, generally make this obvious or well known.-steeladept (March 04, 2010, 02:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

This doesn't make sense to me. Every item next to the price it specifically spells out who is selling the item. The choices are "This item is sold and fulfilled by Amazon", "This item is sold by xxx, but fulfilled by Amazon", and "This item is sold by xxx". I think each of these statements is very concise and makes it clear who you are giving your money to and who will be shipping your item. Of course, another way to make sure you are buying from Amazon themselves is only buy items that are labeled "This item qualifies for FREE Super-Saver Shipping" or however it is worded.

* Frequently when I tried to order something that is supposedly in stock, I get confirmation, then, a few days later a cancellation because the object wasn't in stock.  I realize this isn't directly Amazon's fault since they are not the store, but it is problematic when you are trying to find and buy a specific item - I mean not so much as an email asking how to proceed, just a flat out cancel!   :down:
--- End quote ---

If it's not directly Amazon's fault then don't stop using Amazon. Stop buying anything from the vendor on Amazon who let you down.

Innuendo:
I am an Amazon prime user as well. In general I like Amazon, but you need to pay attention when buying stuff as prime user because Amazon jacks up the prices to compensate for prime shipping. At least in some instances I have experienced it.-kartal (March 07, 2010, 11:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is something to watch for with Amazon regardless of whether or not you are a Prime member. Amazon uses an on-demand pricing system and the price will fluctuate, sometimes several times in the same day. Their algorithm takes into consideration such things as time of year, stock on hand, how soon more stock will arrive, demand for the product that day, and other factors. Amazon having the best price on something when you wake up in the morning doesn't necessarily mean they are still going to be the best price that evening when you are ready to order.

Carol Haynes:
They also do price matching with other internet companies. In the UK you can almost guarantee that Amazon products will be 1 penny cheaper than play.com.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version