ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Amazon.com == AMAZING!

(1/7) > >>

Josh:
I just wanted to start a short topic to say how thoroughly impressed I am with Amazon.com for so many reasons.

The top two which stick out are the following:

AMAZON PRIME: This is a fantastic idea for someone who does a lot of shopping online. For 79 a year, USD, you get free 2nd day shipping on items that are prime eligible with an optional upgrade of 3.99 per item for next day air. This is awesome and has saved me a ton of money. I recently placed an order for 1300 dollars worth of gym equipment and found that I only paid shipping on the floor mats which were not sold by amazon in any way shape or form. This is an awesome deal. This included 320lbs of weights which were prime eligible.

Second:

Pre-order price guarantee: This just hit me today. I ordered where the wild things are on blu-ray and paid 23.49 for it at a pre-order price. Well, the disc delivered yesterday and today I got notice of a refund coming my way for 3.50 USD as the price had lowered to 19.99.

These are just two of the latest examples of why I love amazon.com and will continue to shop there. I have had no hiccups with them and every experience has been positive, even with their marketplace merchants.

Just had to share.

mouser:
I am also a long time and big fan of amazon.com; wherever possible i order from them.

Their shipping (especially prime) is extremely fast, and their return policy is excellent.

I do think josh is going too far in talking about the savings of free shipping when ordering heavy items; when you order something from an online-only store, and they are willing to give you free shipping on a very heavy item, you can bet that heavy items are already priced to include most of the shipping costs.  The only sensible way to compare the savings when using amazon prime (which is like $79 a year) is to look at how much you would pay if you ordered through amazon, but without Prime.

Amazon Prime is, however, great for impatient people since you do get free upgrades to 2 day delivery and cheaper overnight delivery].

JavaJones:
They also have good return policies that, in my experience, are honored without fuss (e.g. I returned a $1000 dSLR simply because it turned out to not be what I wanted). I'm a relatively big fan of Amazon in general, and have been pleasantly surprised at the effectiveness of their expansion into non-book items (and now that they sell so much non-book stuff, it's those items I purchase in the majority). I'm not so happy about some of Amazon's treatment of patents related to what they do, and there are a few other issues like e-book policies, and on-demand print publishing restrictions (you kind of have to use their vendor, who is more expensive than the competition). But on the flip side is leadership in DRM-free MP3s and pricing.

So yeah, Amazon is pretty cool. That being said I don't trust them to always stay that way, and I won't get too complacent with them as one of the better retailers.

P.S. Prime is great for last-minute shipping of gift items, hehe.

- Oshyan

Josh:
When comparing prices of the items I ordered, the weights, etc, with other sites, Amazon was by far the cheapest, on the weights by $75 USD. As such, even if they included shipping there, which I don't know that they would as that varies with every freight company, it is still a fantastic deal.

BTW Mousey, thanks for shooting me down ;-) Now I will make sure your back never stops hurting!

mrainey:
I'm a big Amazon fan too.  I can almost always find something that meets my needs and comes with the free Super-Saver shipping option.  The extra couple of shipping days isn't normally a problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version