topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: "www.genuinekey.com" - Is it legit?  (Read 17838 times)

BCHOWDHURY

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
"www.genuinekey.com" - Is it legit?
« on: March 03, 2010, 04:54 AM »
I have recently come across this website, www.genuinekey.com. Is the site really selling genuine keys? How can they be selling for a few bucks Microsoft product keys, which retail for hundreds of dollars? Please, check the site and give your opinion. Their offers are really tempting.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: "www.genuinekey.com" - Is it legit?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 05:34 AM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's illegal.

Especially since their "feedback" link is to a warezforum.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 05:46 AM »
If it sounds too good to be true...Often times it is.

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 07:22 AM »
Opinion is wishful thinking ;) You can always check WOT for such sites with no contact info http://www.mywot.com...ecard/genuinekey.com In some months may be also Norton, Mcafee...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 12:53 PM »
Dunno.

I'm a Microsoft Partner. One of the things that Microsoft duns into the partner channel is how their licensing works and what licensing options are available for its customers. I'm not aware of any MS licensing arrangement that even vaguely resembles what these guys are implying they're allowed to do.

Then there are a few other things about the website:

• No contact info, phone, or or mailing address...
  • All domain registration info hidden behind ProtectedDomainServices.com (an organization that doesn't have the most stellar record...)
  • And PayPal only? (Actually that makes sense. You can't get a credit card merchant account without a published and verified street address.)

Soooo...I'm suspicious. Way too invisible a company - and way too cheap a price tag for what they're selling.

I also find it interesting that at no time do they say these licenses are legal. (Saying something is "legitimate" is not the same thing as saying it is "legal" BTW.) And just because a key will clear WGA doesn't necessarily mean it's a genuine copy either.

Caveat emptor!

Just my two cents. :)

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 12:55 PM by 40hz »

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 01:04 PM »
These are most likely MSDN keys. The poster has either an MSDN or technet account , which gives you 10 , 1 time use keys per edition of Windows 7

If Microsoft catches which keys are being sold here , they will look up what account the keys below to and black list all of them!

Regards
hacker1993

Seems like a plausible idea. Perhaps they received OEM keys or something and are selling excess ones.  Legit and Working keys, but by no means legal for resale.

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 02:32 PM »
Strange place to advertise for Genuinekey.com http://www.buy-in-gz.cn/ At the bottom there is a Skype address so try call and ask what the deal is! Chinese tricks perhaps http://www.myiptest....se-IP/genuinekey.com

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 02:35 PM »
Given that the prices on that site are lower than what even very large OEMs likely pay Microsoft for each copy of Windows (http://arstechnica.c...-copy-of-windows.ars), I think you can be confident that the keys are not legitimate.

I recently visited the MS Company Store, and my recollection is that the prices on the "genuinekey" site are even a bit lower than what MS was charging their employees. MS Company Store purchases include media, which might account for a bit of a bump in price, but "genuinekey" doesn't even include a software download - another sign that the offering is not legit.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 02:40 PM »
Given that the prices on that site are lower than what even very large OEMs likely pay Microsoft for each copy of Windows (http://arstechnica.c...-copy-of-windows.ars), I think you can be confident that the keys are not legitimate.

I recently visited the MS Company Store, and my recollection is that the prices on the "genuinekey" site are even a bit lower than what MS was charging their employees. MS Company Store purchases include media, which might account for a bit of a bump in price, but "genuinekey" doesn't even include a software download - another sign that the offering is not legit.

They ARE offering the ISO's but not direct from their site, saw the link for the ISO's on their home page, near the comments.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 02:55 PM »
They ARE offering the ISO's but not direct from their site
-Stephen66515 (March 03, 2010, 02:40 PM)

I see - I was working off of this item in their FAQ:

Q:  Will you send me a copy of the software?
A:   No, this listing is not for a copy of the software. You need download install files by yourself, we only offer genuine keys.

So either I'm misunderstanding the FAQ or they've changed to offer some sort of download somehow.

Even so, there are far more than enough red flags on this to be certain that this isn't a legit offering.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 03:03 PM »
You are buying a legitimate, unique, and genuine Microsoft Windows 7 Product Key. A download link with a ISO/DVD file for installation will be provided. These keys are strait from Microsoft and are 100% guaranteed to work.
31 Comments
Windows 7 download
Filed under: Windows 7; Tagged as: Untouched Windows 7 download, Windows 7 home premium download, Windows 7 Professional download, Windows 7 Ultimate download

Firstly, you need a free download manager to handle the download. I strongly suggest you using the free one from http://www.gigaget.com

Some people said they have no file error report by direct download, but using this download manager, it’s all good.

Secondly, Untouched Windows 7 ISO files download Link:
Windows 7 Ultimate
32-bit Windows 7 Ultimate x86 ISO

**link removed by Stephen66511 due to not knowing if its legal or not**

From the home page bout 4/5 of the way down

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 03:17 PM »
Hmmmm...

Domain Whois record

Queried whois.cnnic.net.cn with "unionstars.com.cn"...

Domain Name: unionstars.com.cn
ROID: 20040406s10011s00493997-cn
Domain Status: ok
Registrant Organization: 上海星联信息技术有限公司
Registrant Name: 朱源民
Administrative Email: [email protected]
Sponsoring Registrar: 北京新网互联科技有限公司
Name Server:dc-us01.unionstars.com.cn
Registration Date: 2004-04-06 13:05
Expiration Date: 2012-04-06 13:05

Not to be too judgmental, but: "Think China - Think 'Red' Flag" when it comes to this sort of thing.

parkint

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • It's bad luck to be superstitious
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 03:41 PM »
but: "Think China - Think 'Red' Flag" when it comes to this sort of thing.

I always appreciate a good pun!
Thank you