topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:08 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Version 1.55 - a Significant Release: Please Read Carefully  (Read 38470 times)

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
I have today released both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Circle Dock. The major purpose of this update is to address the UAC issues those of you running Windows 7 particularly have noted; there are other fixes and enhancements included and I will cover those later in this message.

We strongly recommend you install and run the 64-bit version if your version of Windows is 64-bit.

Installing Circle Dock v1.55
To overcome the ACL problems which result in UAC errors, you absolutely must uninstall any previous version of Circle Dock before attempting to install this new release. However, you may have already configured the Circle Dock the way you want it and don't want to lose those settings, so here's what you should do:

1. Locate the two files "DockSettings.xml" and "DockItemData.xml" and copy them to a temporary folder. If you have installed Circle Dock to a "Program Files" folder, then these two files will be located in "C:\YourUserName\AppData\Local\" (replace "YourUserName" with your Windows User Name). If, on the other hand, Circle Dock is installed elsewhere on your PC, the two files will be located in Circle Dock's "System\Settings\" folder. If you have included any Stack Folders on your Dock, you will also need to save a copy of "StandaloneStack.ini" which will be in CircleDock's "System\Miscellaneous\" folder.

2. Having copied these two files, uninstall Circle Dock.

3. Now install the new version. Run the new version and as soon as you see the blank dock, exit Circle Dock.

4. Replace the "DockSettings.xml", "DockItemData.xml" and "StandaloneStack.ini" with the copies you made in Step 1.

5. Now run Circle Dock as normal.

If you're installing Circle Dock into a folder other than "Program Files", (or creating a Portable Version), then you must set the ACL Permissions for certain folders and files yourself. For further information and instructions, consult this page of the help system.

Windows 7 and Mice
We have identified an issue concerning Global Mouse Handlers and Windows 7 installations that include mouse drivers installed after Windows was originally installed (ie OEMs such as Logitech). There's a tendency for Circle Dock to lose the ability to trap Global Mouse events including its mouse button that toggles the Dock's visibility. There are two work-arounds which seem to overcome this issue:

1. Include a "mouse modifier" key (any of "Ctrl", "Alt", "Shift", "Win").
2. Uninstall your OEM-provided mouse software and force Windows to use its generic driver for your type of mouse.

It should be stressed that this issue only affects Windows 7 and only where third-party mouse drivers are installed.

Other Changes, Fixes and Enhancements
The Help System contains full details of these however they include increased support for StandaloneStacks (all configurable items are now settable) and changed its folder "Root" to "Desktop" to allow a wider range of targets to be selected from.

Also, Circle Dock consists of two executable files now and no DLLs - these are now statically-linked as part of the build post-processing. This reduces both the disk and memory footprints with Circle Dock now typically requiring between 700KiB and 900KiB when hidden.

The download is available, as always, from this topic.

Mark
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 05:43 AM by Markham »

Rigel

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Version 1.55 - a Significant Release: Please Read Carefully
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 05:08 AM »
Hi,
 thanks for new version but at point 1 and 4  there should also \System\Miscellaneous\standalonestack.ini
Bye
Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.

guomin1987

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 02:25 AM »
how to download it??

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 06:43 AM »
Greetings guomin1987
Welcome to Donationcoder, and Circle Docks little corner  :D
Listed as the final link in the initial post....The latest version will always be at the following
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=20623.msg184666#msg184666

If you have any questions, let us know  :Thmbsup:

Regards
The Sarge

ELBVT

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 12:44 PM »
Good evening
Here I can but I have a question
Personally I ACL is no problem and no error UAC
Do I have to follow your tutorial for installing the new version
or can I install over my old version?
Or do I have to change my version or I can keep that which I have
Thank you for your reply
Sincerely ElBvt  :Thmbsup:

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 01:31 PM »
Actually there is a major code update, and certain parts of the software have been further integrated or eliminated.
Certain files and folders from previous versions may not exist, so installing over an older version may create a conflict with files and folders left behind during the updated install
Due to this, I would suggest following the directions, so that you have full benefit of the software, with the appropriate updated files and code

ELBVT

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 03:55 PM »
So for the proper functioning I will follow the instructions and uninstall and then change my version?
Thank you for this information  :Thmbsup:

Retec

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 03:59 PM »
I am upgrading from 1.5.4.6, running on Win7 x86, and the files in my ...\AppData\Local\CircleDock directory are DockItemData.xml and Config.xml. No DockSettings.xml file...?

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 08:01 PM »
Greetings Retec
Welcome to donationcoder.com and Circle Dock's little corner  :)

I am upgrading from 1.5.4.6, running on Win7 x86, and the files in my ...\AppData\Local\CircleDock directory are DockItemData.xml and Config.xml. No DockSettings.xml file...?

You are correct in this.
Those are the files that you will need to backup/copy

Apologies for any confusion  8)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 08:03 PM by sgtevmckay »

kamalaza

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 02:16 AM »
thanks alot.... :)

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 06:58 PM »
Greetings kamalaza
Welcome to DonationCoder.com and Circle Dock's little corner  :D

thanks alot.... :)

You are certainly welcome  :Thmbsup:
Hope to see more of you here and in other parts on Donationcoder.com

Regards
The Sarge

momashi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 02:14 PM »
So where is it?? I tried to access the original thread you mentioned here but I got an error message.

I have today released both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Circle Dock. The major purpose of this update is to address the UAC issues those of you running Windows 7 particularly have noted; there are other fixes and enhancements included and I will cover those later in this message.

[................]

Installing Circle Dock v1.55

The download is available, as always, from this topic.

Mark

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 03:05 PM »
So where is it?? I tried to access the original thread you mentioned here but I got an error message.

...The download is available, as always, from this topic.

Mark

Try looking here at SourceForge. Please note it was last updated in 2012 on SourceForge and it's still listed as an alpha. Version 0.92alpha8.2 to be precise. I'm guessing it's been orphaned.

Always best to check the dates on the post you're responding to. The one you're quoting is from March 2010. It's nearly 5 years since there's been anything posted in this thread.

Hope this was of help. :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 03:24 PM »

There was a problem with the licensing and it's no longer on dc.
AFAIK that version you're looking for is unofficially available on Cnet.
I think it was not developed after that ...
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 03:36 PM »
Maybe since CD has its own section, we should sticky an announcement for any that happen to find their way here?

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2014, 12:58 AM »
I will come up with somethign appropriate to do so

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 08:48 AM »
^Hey it's sgtevmckay! Howdy stranger! Long time no see. Happy Holidays! :Thmbsup:

Suggestion: your main wiki is pointing people back to DoCo for tech support. You might also want to think about what you want to do with that too.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 10:00 AM »

And 38+68=106 downloads last week alone  :o
120k+ altogether

Also on Softpedia (another 100k), & presumably etc,
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 10:08 AM by Dormouse »

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 01:18 PM »

And 38+68=106 downloads last week alone  :o
120k+ altogether

Also on Softpedia (another 100k), & presumably etc,

Yes, I know......The "UN-official" Version is still available and incredibly popular, though I no longer support myself.

The programmer and I have fallen out a long time ago. I recently attempted to contact him, but have not received a response.
I would love to bring the UN-Oficial version's code in house and have it added to the code Database.

A part of me still holds out hope that this most potentially excellent of launchers will resurrect at some point, and be free and open source again.

Let me get through the Holiday season, and I will start cleaning things up here and at the web site as time allows.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 07:50 PM »
I would love to bring the UN-Oficial version's code in house and have it added to the code Database.

A part of me still holds out hope that this most potentially excellent of launchers will resurrect at some point, and be free and open source again.
I suspect that legally the whole thing is still covered by the original open source licence. I don't think that was ever changed. iirc it came as a shock to the developer that he wasn't free just to say it was private and charge for it. Of course, being open source does not mean that the source code was actually released, simply that it should have been. But it would mean that the availability of the .exe is legitimate.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2014, 08:10 PM »

I suspect that legally the whole thing is still covered by the original open source licence. I don't think that was ever changed. iirc it came as a shock to the developer that he wasn't free just to say it was private and charge for it. Of course, being open source does not mean that the source code was actually released, simply that it should have been. But it would mean that the availability of the .exe is legitimate.

Let's leave that in the past.  From what I understand, Markham completely rewrote it (in which case it wouldn't be covered) and people accused him of just using the original source without viable proof, and that's what caused the whole meltdown.  Better without proof of wrongdoing to leave it in the past.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2014, 09:52 PM »
From what I understand, Markham completely rewrote it (in which case it wouldn't be covered) and people accused him of just using the original source without viable proof, and that's what caused the whole meltdown.  Better without proof of wrongdoing to leave it in the past.

IIRC the problem came down to the fact Markham had rewritten (or written) about 90% of the current version(s) code and was annoyed that other developers (far less ethical) had appropriated the original codebase - plus his own rather significant contributions - and were selling it as their own closed-source commercial product.

Because he was quite understandably angered by this, he asked why he should be subject to the rules of the GPL - when others didn't seem to be.

When he went to assert a GPL violation however, he discovered that only the original programmer who licensed the project under the GPL could appeal to the OSF for intervention and assistance. And Markham was unsuccessful, despite exerting a great deal of personal effort, to contact the original programmer Eric Wong.

Being now caught in a no-win situation, Markham next announced he would just re-write that last 10% of original code so that it was now all his own work. And further, that the resulting app would be released - and sold - as your usual closed-source commercially licensed program.

That's when the tomatoes hit the fan.

There was the argument that since Markham had done work on a GPLed project, both the original code, and all his subsequent contributions, were bound by the rules of GPL. And that all his coding contributions - up to that point - would still need to remain open-sourced and under GPL regardless of what he decided to do subsequently. Because once something is released under GPL, that license specifically disallows any attempts to rescind or "un-GPL' something.

GPL is a "one-way" street. Once code is GPLed - it's GPLed forever. Otherwise there's nothing to stop an unscrupulous developer from benefiting from the open-source movement - then taking all the free contributions of others - and running off with them. Or even worse, to code something which becomes an established standard app (e.g. MySQL, Apache, GCC, etc.), and then pull the rug out from under all the users by suddenly declaring they now have to license it commercially, and pay whatever the developer decides to charge, if they want to continue using it.

The important thing to understand here is that the GPL is primarily designed to protect the user - not the developer - although it does do that to a lesser extent as well.

In Markham's case, it was true that (strictly speaking) everything he had done up to that point needed to remain available as open-source and under GPL. However, here's where what angered him about what others were doing now worked to his advantage. Only the original coder who released the original app under the GPL could assert a claim against Mr. Markham.

Was Markham ethically bound?

Yes he was.

Would anything happen if he didn't abide by the rules of GPL?

Nope. Nada. Not unless Eric Wong reappeared from wherever he vanished to and filed a complaint with the OSF

But there was an escape hatch. And AFAIK that's the one Markham took. Because while he couldn't un-GPL what was done, neither was he was under any obligation to support CircleDock - or make its source code available at his own expense. He could simply dump and abandon it on GitHub or SourceForge and walk away. And he was also under no obligation to provide an executable. GPL says that only the source code needs to remain open and free to use. It does not say you must also provide a finished and ready to install program or binary. And my understanding is that dumping and walking away is exactly what Markham did.

Then he went off to do a commercial version of his own, which included rewriting that last bit of original code, so that all the code he was now using in his commercial app was completely his own work.

Right? Wrong?

I'm pretty much on Markham's side if he did in fact do the dump and abandon route. If he didn't, I don't feel it's my place (as someone who didn't contribute any code) to comment one way or the other. That's Eric Wong's prerogative. Not mine.

Sorry to dredge this all up again. But I think it's important to not have people get the wrong impression of what went down. And although I'm possibly the biggest F/OSS advocate and cheerleader here at DoCo, I get no pleasure seeing somebody walk away who feels (correctly or incorrectly) that they've just been screwed over royally by the GPL. Because, with something like the F/OSS movement - which is entirely dependent on trust and goodwill to accomplish its goals -  hard feelings can't benefit anybody.

Just my :two:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 11:53 AM by 40hz, Reason: minor edits to improve grammar »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2014, 10:16 PM »
Sorry to dredge this all up again. But I think it's important to not have people get the wrong impression of what went down. And although I'm possibly the biggest F/OSS advocate and cheerleader here at DoCo, I get no pleasure seeing somebody walk away who feels (correctly or incorrectly) that they've just been screwed over royally by the GPL. Because, with something like the F/OSS movement - which is entirely dependent on trust and goodwill to accomplish its goals -  hard feelings can't benefit anybody.

No... glad that you put this here, because I couldn't speak to it.  But I do remember it was one of the things that made me realize I'd never work on, nor release software under the GPL.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2014, 10:33 PM »
Sorry to dredge this all up again. But I think it's important to not have people get the wrong impression of what went down. And although I'm possibly the biggest F/OSS advocate and cheerleader here at DoCo, I get no pleasure seeing somebody walk away who feels (correctly or incorrectly) that they've just been screwed over royally by the GPL. Because, with something like the F/OSS movement - which is entirely dependent on trust and goodwill to accomplish its goals -  hard feelings can't benefit anybody.

No... glad that you put this here, because I couldn't speak to it.  But I do remember it was one of the things that made me realize I'd never work on, nor release software under the GPL.

Nothing wrong with that. The beginning of all wisdom is understanding precisely what you're getting yourself into.

GPL isn't for everyone - or every coding project. Since it stands everything most developers think of on its head, it's extremely important to understand exactly what is is and why it exists.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: GPL is the embodiment of a software development philosophy - it is NOT a business model.

8)

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2014, 06:05 AM »
I'm not really interested in revisiting the history, and the legal complexities and implications of the different open source licences are massive anyway.

I was just wanting to point out that the programs available on cnet, Softpedia etc are likely to be there legitimately because they fall under the open source licence.