topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: T-Clock 2010 (download)  (Read 1005640 times)

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: T-Clock 2010 (alpha - download)
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 06:32 PM »
Code: C++ [Select]
  1. if(day > 42) day = 7; // It was either Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy -or- the 49.7 day bugg :-)

Ha ha ha ha ha  :D

Now you can stick anything anywhere & it'll convert it for you on-the-fly as needed.

Sounds good to me  :Thmbsup:

Hopefully I'll have a new build ready sometime this weekend.

Good luck!  Err, I guess this happened while I was composing this response.../me goes off to download.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 07:08 PM »
Tabbing Issue was actually with Virtual PC. After I restarted the whole shebang it started working just fine.
Congratulations -- it seems it wasn't your code :)

1. Deleting a running timer, also stops said timer.

Seems to be working.

2. Deleting a timer no longer scrambles all of the other configured timers.

I was going to test this, and went to create a second timer, but the Start button was disabled...This is not by design, right?

After a timer expired, I was able to create a new one and start that.  Then I was able to select the first one to start that too.  Scrambling seems to not have happened.

3. Removed excess MessageBoxes (that weren't actually supposed to be there - oops!).

Darn it!  How do I get them to appear now?  ;)

4. Fixed ... Tab Order issue.

Much nicer!

5. Entering out-of-range time data is now auto-converted to its D:HH:MM:SS equivelents

6. Timer Status message now reflects the above ... - This will eventually be a "Live" counter.

I am seeing appropriate values in the status dialog for the timer  :Thmbsup:  (I see that if I specify 2 minutes and 120 seconds in the dialog for creating timers, the numbers I specified are preserved in the dialog upon subsequent viewing.  Perhaps this is a nice feature.)

7. Timers that were running on program shutdown are automatically reset so they don't get stuck as unstartable.

So what currently happens is that one can still start them up, but they don't auto-resume.  Is that correct?  That's my interpretation of what I'm observing.  Definitely seems good to be able to start them again!

8. Some other stuff I can't remember at the moment.

I'm not finding any obvious non-trivial effect of pressing the "Test" (triangle) button (I imagine I'm supposed to hear the specified sound -- I'm not hearing the corresponding sound upon pressing the button though).  I don't remember whether this worked before and I've removed my older T-Clock -- oops.

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 11:19 PM »
No can create 2nd timer when first is running Bugg is (known) on the To-Do list.

Test Sound Button Broken Bugg - (Is new...) - :o - (it used to work) - is on To-Do list.

Upgrade = Exchange Old bugs for New bugs. <- I just made that true)

I'm currently working on the Stopwatch feature, but will attack the Timer issues as soon as I can get the Stopwatch to stop acting like a rabid ape.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2010, 08:45 AM »
Thanks for the specially-requested additions!

as soon as I can get the Stopwatch to stop acting like a rabid ape.
;D (You can reform a rabid ape with a paid bear.)

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2010, 09:26 AM »
Thank you for this Windows7 compatible utility.  :Thmbsup:

If I could ask for one feature: Week in "Date Options". Would be very useful. Thanks.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2010, 09:37 AM »
Feature request: right-click menu option to do internet time sync
(i'm not suggesting you code the time sync, merely find a way to trigger the built-in windows internet time sync that can be seen in the "Adjust Date and Time" dialog).

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2010, 05:35 PM »

If I could ask for one feature: Week in "Date Options". Would be very useful. Thanks.

Hm... Let me make sure I got this right; You're looking for the week # (1-52) of the year, yes? While I've not a clue what this is used for, it's got to be the (hands down) most requested feature in T-Clocks history (at least the part I've been involved in). So it's definitely on the To-Do list. I can't say when it will be added (i gota figure out how first) but it will be added at some point.

If I'm of base, feel free to clarify, and I might give that a shot too. ;)

Feature request: right-click menu option to do internet time sync
(i'm not suggesting you code the time sync, merely find a way to trigger the built-in windows internet time sync that can be seen in the "Adjust Date and Time" dialog).

Triggering vs. coding really isn't the issue - Administrative Rights being required to adjust the System Clock is the issue. That and if someone sync's with a time source outside their domain, theyj could get cut off from the domain (Kerberos 5min default max allowed time skew).

From a command Prompt the Windows Time Service can easily be targeted with either:
net time /set /y
 -or-
w32tm /resync

...But both require cmd.exe to be run as Admin or they will fail. I've (gotten other requests for this, and) pondered this at great length several times before. Each time looping back to the rights issue and how to gracefully handle the lack of them, should the case arise.

There is a method of triggering run as with ShellExec(...) that I've toyed with exploring ... But I'm just not willing to commit to something that will cause T-Clock to start triggering UAC prompts.

On a brighter note, the Stopwatch has finally been beaten into submission, and has moved to the extended testing phaze. It uses QueryPerformanceCounter(...) & QueryPerformanceFrequency(...) for reasonable precision down to the millisecond, and does lap times too.
T-Clock 2010 (Stopwatch).jpg
(Thanks to ewemoa for the output format suggestion)

I'm not releasing it just yet because I got figure out what I broke in the Timer test sound button first.

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2010, 07:33 PM »
Okay, something went right for a change ... :o ...

New build with Stopwatch is now available in the usual (first post of thread) location.

This build also includes fixes for:
 1. Broken Timer Test Sound Button Bugg.
 2. Can't Add 2nd Timer if First is Running Bugg.

I seem to have missed this earlier.
7. Timers that were running on program shutdown are automatically reset so they don't get stuck as unstartable.

So what currently happens is that one can still start them up, but they don't auto-resume.  Is that correct?  That's my interpretation of what I'm observing.  Definitely seems good to be able to start them again!

Correct, the timer decriptions are saved in the registry so the timers can be reused. However given the numerous ways a program can be unloaded... :) ...There is no real safe way to cope with/calculate the "Hang-Time", so the timers are all (re)set to inactive on program start so that they can then be launched/restarted.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2010, 08:26 PM »
1. Broken Timer Test Sound Button Bugg.
 2. Can't Add 2nd Timer if First is Running Bugg.
Verified locally  :Thmbsup:  ...and the Test button even stops the sound being tested.

I tried the Stopwatch feature a bit. 

I like the lap feature and the ms updating :)

It looks like you can create multiple instances -- is that intentional?

If so, here's something:

1. Open a stopwatch window and move it away from where it appears a bit
2. Press the start button for the stopwatch
3. Open another stopwatch window
4. Press the stop button for the first stop watch
5. Press the start button for the second stopwatch

After step 5, I observe the first stopwatch starting and as you might expect, I expected the second stopwatch to start instead.

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2010, 10:44 PM »
It looks like you can create multiple instances -- is that intentional?

:-[ No. It's supposed to check for an existing instance on load and give that one focus if it's found.
(Forest->Trees ... shit)

That will be fixed in the next release.

Thank You.

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2010, 07:09 AM »

Hm... Let me make sure I got this right; You're looking for the week # (1-52) of the year, yes? While I've not a clue what this is used for, it's got to be the (hands down) most requested feature in T-Clocks history (at least the part I've been involved in). So it's definitely on the To-Do list. I can't say when it will be added (i gota figure out how first) but it will be added at some point.

If I'm of base, feel free to clarify, and I might give that a shot too. ;)

True. Week 01-52 would be fine.

Why I need it? Well, I've to deal a lot with week numbers at my workplace, like ... "this reports is for week... ah, what's the current week number again?" Right now I'm using BetaClock, but this tool isn't working under Win7 and my workplace PC will get an update to Win7 soon.

If you have time for this feature and want to make it the best ever seen, offer "Simple week number" and "ISO 8601 week number" (http://www.proesite.com/timex/wkcalc.htm) and do your own calculation. Do no rely on what Windows returns as week number, as it gives wrong results under Win7 (possible bug in the international settings. HKCU\Control Panel\International\iFirstWeekOfYear should be set to 1 for ISO 8601).

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2010, 03:22 PM »
Okay, dates are not one of my "Strong Points" ... So bear with me while I muddle through this.

As I understand in, we got 2 different Week-Of-Year (WOY going forward) standards, Simple (SWN) and ISO 8601. From what I gather reading the link you posted (thanks for that btw):
 Simple = day one (e.g. Jan/1) week one. 7 days later is week 2, etc., etc..
 ISO = week 1 of a given year is the one that includes the first Thursday of that year (and then it contradicts itself).

I'll clarify that last part (from the article).
In [ISO8601], the week number is defined by:

weeks start on a Monday
week 1 of a given year is the one that includes the first Thursday of that year. (or, equivalently, week 1 is the week that includes 4 January.)

Now Monday = 1 tracks with Thursday = 4 just fine (i.e. 2007), but if week 1 needs a 4th to be week one, there is no guarantee that it will come with/as a Thursday. So which is it? First week with a 4th, or the first week with a Thursday?

2007 1st Thursday was the 4th (perfect!). - Windows called it week 1
2008 1st Thursday was the 3rd. - Windows called it week 0 (but next week (was week 1, and) had 1st Thusday...)
2009 1st Thursday was the 1st. - Windows called it week 0 (but next week (was week 1, and) had 1st Thusday...)
2010 1st Thursday was the 12/31 of 2009. - Windows called it week 0 (but next week (was week 1, and) had 1st Thusday...)
Note: Both Window XP & 7 give the same answers when I pull the WOY out of local time.

So the kicker is really 2008; its got a Thursday, and a 4th (but it's Friday), and Windows called it week 0 ... Now to your way of thinking is that correct, or no?

Now I can pull SWN (as an option 2) out of the same place by grabbing Day-of-Year and dividing it by 7 (simple enough). The question is, do you think (based on above assessment/ramblings) that Windows (by default) has the ISO WOY correct? Or is there something else I'm missing/misinterpreting
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 03:24 PM by Stoic Joker »

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2010, 04:32 PM »
FWIW here are some info about week numbering http://www.rondebruin.nl/weeknumber.htm

jpprater

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2010, 05:32 PM »
Latest build runs beautifully.

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2010, 10:26 PM »
Okay, so the farther I get into this the muddier the water gets. It seem that even within the "Standard" there are warring intellectual factions that maintain (rather philosophically) that the first (not week one yet...) part of the year is either end of week 53 - or week 0.

*Shrug* Best I can tell, I'm getting the correct answer for week 1 forward, so I'm gonna go with that unless anybody's got a (documented) better idea. :)

So as it stands now I'm working on 3 variants:
 1. ~ISO week starting on Monday
 2. ~ISO week starting on Sunday
 3. SWN (Simple Week Number)

1 & 2 are already working on test machines, 3 (the "simple" one) is proving to be anything but. However, it will come along (in the next release) eventually - Just as soon as I can find the right sized hammer... ;)

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2010, 06:07 PM »
Well, much as I hate to regard silence as acceptance ... I gotta go with it.

New build now available (on first post) Includes:
 1. All 3 of the afore mentioned Week-of-Year options listed above.
 2. Finally... a help file describing the currently available custom format options.
 3. Bugg fix for the Menu Dismissal Issue (it didn't always go away when told - It does now)
 4. Bugg fix for Stopwatch's Evil Psychotic Twin issue.
 5. Bugg fix for Child dialogs (Properties/Timers/Stopwatch)  failure to gain focus (pop-under) issue.
 6. Bugg fix for bashful tooltip issue.
Note: 5 & 6 were closely related to 3.
 7. Finally created help file that explains how to make it do what it does.

As Always, Feedback Greatly Appreciated.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2010, 09:08 PM »
Below is some feedback for: T-Clock 2010 (alpha -5- Release to DC).zip

I haven't tried to grok the week stuff, but FWIW, I put Wm Ws and Ww in a custom format under "Advanced Clock Configuration Options".  What I see currently is:

12 12 12

Perhaps that's working :)  Anyway, just some feedback on that functionality...

2. Finally... a help file describing the currently available custom format options.
I see and have opened a file named T-Clock Help.rtf.  I see sections for Date, Time, and Other Options.

3. Bugg fix for the Menu Dismissal Issue (it didn't always go away when told - It does now)
I'm not sure I experienced this one before and I don't think I see it now.

4. Bugg fix for Stopwatch's Evil Psychotic Twin issue.
Twin seems long lost now ;)

5. Bugg fix for Child dialogs (Properties/Timers/Stopwatch)  failure to gain focus (pop-under) issue.
See remark for 3.

Was this a reference to T-Clock Help.rtf?

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2010, 09:40 PM »
Below is some feedback for: T-Clock 2010 (alpha -5- Release to DC).zip

I haven't tried to grok the week stuff, but FWIW, I put Wm Ws and Ww in a custom format under "Advanced Clock Configuration Options".  What I see currently is:

12 12 12

Perhaps that's working :)  Anyway, just some feedback on that functionality...

Yes at this point they all line up, but Ww (SWN) will go to week 13 on Thursday, Ws will go to 13 on Sunday, and Wm will go to 13 on Monday. *Shrug* I guess on other years it will skew farther - Making for a more dramatic effect. All I know is a lot of people were after this option (showed up frequently in the 300+ Emails I have received), so I had to figure out how to include it...Even tho the "Standard" is confusing as hell.

I see and have opened a file named T-Clock Help.rtf.  I see sections for Date, Time, and Other Options
Was this a reference to T-Clock Help.rtf?
Yes, Help file was the other most requested feature. While I was tracing through the output formatting code line by line to decide where & how best to include the week stuff, it occurred to my Hay why not take notes ... and those notes are now the help file (or at least a reasonably good start on one).

I'm not sure I experienced this one before and I don't think I see it now.

See remark for 3.
These were rather subtle, but very annoying.

Thank you.

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2010, 06:32 AM »
[...]
Didn't you see me post above?...  ;) or was the link useless?
https://www.donation....msg199412#msg199412

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2010, 08:35 AM »
[...]
Didn't you see me post above?...  ;) or was the link useless?
https://www.donation....msg199412#msg199412

Yes, I spent a great deal of time studying both your link, and wr975's - therein lying the problem - The more I read it the more it started turning into a "If this week, ws next week, last week..." Bugs Bunny skit in my head.

I tried googling for a clearer (straight) answer but none could be found. I was looking for a simple (straight answer) chart of the week numbers going back a few years, that would give me the correct answers according to (Hoyle...) the ISO standard, so I could compare TC's output to it. What I found was warring Brain-Monkeys clashing (pontificating) over end of week 53 vs. week 0. ...At which point I gave up, and went with what I had.

So at this point it's up to you guys to tell me if it's "right", as the only one of the 3 that I can/could verify with any accuracy was the Ww SWN - Which I ended up writing myself because the Timex formula struck me as just way to convoluted a method of answering a simple question.

Week = floor(((DayOfYear) + 6) / 7);       // (Can't miss - End of Problem)

Thank you.

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2010, 06:57 AM »
Okay, this one is kind of a quicky - but it's for a weird issue that has plagued TC forever. The font size calculation had a bugg that caused the size 8 font to be way tiny (and almost impossible to see). I've reworked the calculation method so now size 8 is actually size 8. While this change causes the clock text to need to be repositioned after settings are applied,  each time (in testing) it needed to be repositioned back to 0 instead of the offset I'd been using to center the clock. This implies (to me) that it's now being calculated correctly which finally allows the clock to properly self-center itself.

I also bumped up the font creation quality to ClearType Natural (it was draft) ... which seems a bit crisper, but I'll leave it up to you folks to let me know if it really is better. Download available it the usual place.

Thank you,

Stoic Joker

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2010, 07:29 AM »
Just reporting that the new version works well for me, as did the old version.
I never used the advanced features so i can't really comment on that, except to say that finding t-clock version for windows x64 was a godsend to me.

Here are the date time formatting settings i use; frankly i don't know why anyone on earth would use anything but these, so i suggest they be made not only the defaults, but the only option available unless the user is willing to hack the executable:

new.png
Screenshot - 3_25_2010 , 7_23_43 AM.png

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2010, 08:04 AM »
Here are the date time formatting settings i use; frankly i don't know why anyone on earth would use anything but these, so i suggest they be made not only the defaults, but the only option available unless the user is willing to hack the executable:

That seems a bit harsh...even by my (lack of) standards... ;)

That looks like an awfully old build in the screenshot, but in defense (hehe) of alternate settings, here's  my current config at the office.
TC2010atOffice.jpg

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2010, 08:08 AM »
you're right, i screenshotted the old build so i could copy over my settings; the new organization is a nice improvement  :up:

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2010, 05:08 PM »
Trying out T-Clock 2010 (alpha -6- Release to DC).zip

Didn't know about
The font issues

Inspired to try
A different format