topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: T-Clock 2010 (download)  (Read 1005711 times)

sagji

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: T-Clock 2010 (beta - download)
« Reply #175 on: July 19, 2010, 01:27 PM »
@kronckew - Build # added to about screen.

Okay, as luck would have it, my brother who just moved down here and is staying with us for a while has a 42" TV with a PC input. This gave me a much better test platform for the High DPI bugg. So...

Monitor: 42" Toshiba 1080p HD TV
Resolution: 1920x1080
DPI: 150

Dialog Position: Where it Belongs... (Finally!)

In case anyone is wondering, the origional code was actually correct, I just needed to add the DPI aware option to the manifest file - which required VS2010. *Sigh* ...I really liked VS2005 better.

Only (other) down side at this point is I'm not sure if/how well it will run on Windows 2000 after being compiled with MSVS2010.

On a brighter note, I can finally get on with some of the other ideas/suggestions that have been mentioned/discussed/requested above.

Murphy was so impressed by your fix he slipped a x86 version into the x64 folders so it doesn't work on my system.

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #176 on: July 19, 2010, 06:45 PM »
Murphy was so impressed by your fix he slipped a x86 version into the x64 folders so it doesn't work on my system.

:wallbash: 40 downloads in 24 hours and its just got to be the one release I package wrong.

[Expletive Replete] Murphy.  :D

sagji

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #177 on: July 20, 2010, 04:41 PM »
Well this one runs.
But it isn't any different - except there is extra text on the about page - but it wraps after the second - and 3/4 of the second line gets clipped off.

It is still appearing off screen, and still shows scaled coordinates to window spy. If I move it so the right edge is adjacent to the taskbar then with the mouse at the right edge of T-Clock's window the x screen position  is about 1400 but when i move it right is suddenly jumps to over 2000.

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #178 on: July 22, 2010, 06:50 AM »
Well this one runs.
But it isn't any different - except there is extra text on the about page - but it wraps after the second - and 3/4 of the second line gets clipped off.

Yeah, oops ... The test machine (looked fine, but) was at some weird res/DPI setting so I gotta redo that part - It was a bit of an (after thought) rush job.

It is still appearing off screen, and still shows scaled coordinates to window spy. If I move it so the right edge is adjacent to the taskbar then with the mouse at the right edge of T-Clock's window the x screen position  is about 1400 but when i move it right is suddenly jumps to over 2000.

Man, I've tried everything I can think of trying to duplicate this to aviod picking on your hardware. But, I think we may need to explore that possibility. I had hoped that someone else with that type of setup would chime in to confirm or disprove the behavior ... but it seems it just the two of us stuck head-2-head. I'm debating on adding a (work arround) option to save last dialog position as a last resort.

Everything I try makes it worse, and the more I research this everything points at the origional code as being correct.

*Shrug* I'm stumped... :(

sagji

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #179 on: July 25, 2010, 04:26 PM »

Man, I've tried everything I can think of trying to duplicate this to aviod picking on your hardware. But, I think we may need to explore that possibility. I had hoped that someone else with that type of setup would chime in to confirm or disprove the behavior ... but it seems it just the two of us stuck head-2-head. I'm debating on adding a (work arround) option to save last dialog position as a last resort.

Everything I try makes it worse, and the more I research this everything points at the origional code as being correct.

*Shrug* I'm stumped... :(
I think I have found what's wrong with the x64 version.
The two versions (x64, and x86) have different manifests. The x86 has both the sections that are in the x64 clock.exe but in the opposite order, and also has a third section that includes the dpiAwareness setting. So it looks like the x64 version isn't set as DPI aware.

sagji

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #180 on: July 25, 2010, 05:30 PM »
As an experiment I added the DPI aware to the x64 version's manifest.
It now appears in the right place <added> and the calender appears on screen </added>.
But it isn't scaling correctly internally.

I have attached before and after images for the about, mouse, and quicky tabs - the others appear normal.
In the mouse tab the list of actions starts too soon so overlaps the controls for setting the actions.
In the quicky tab the list doesn't fill the remainder of the page.
The font in the tabs is smaller - so more fit on one line.
The label with the build information fits better but still wraps onto a second line and gets clipped.

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #181 on: July 26, 2010, 06:59 AM »
 :wallbash: Well that'll teach me not to test a 64bit issue on a 32bit box...  :-[

The internal scaling issue I've seen before, I hadn't addressed it yet because you'd never mentioned it -  which has been bugging me (I eluded to it a few pages back) - and I/we/one of us had to get the positioning issue nailed down first. Thanks for finding it.

All of the ListView controls are added/created at runtime so I'll just need to add a routine to size & position them based on current conditions after creation.

Thank you for your patience and assistance in resolving this.

MKappy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #182 on: August 16, 2010, 09:41 AM »
Hi

Regarding the suggestions I made in

« Reply #171 on: July 05, 2010, 08:23:43 AM »

I have an alternate idea to the  Auto rename feature.  I originally suggested:

----------
3 Auto Rename file for file drag and drop?

This might be possible now but it's beyond my knowledge of how one would set this up.

The idea here would be to rename a dropped file to have a predefined user date/time string appended as a prefix or suffix before the file extension.
This might be the same as the single click option for example or perhaps yet another string specifically for this purpose.
For example:
   Original file name:   Draft_ideas.doc
   Suffix Drag drop results in:   Draft_ideas_2010-07-02_02hrs_07mins.doc
   Prefix Drag drop results in:   2010-07-02_Draft_ideas.doc
----------

Rather than try and deal with drag and drop to do the rename, which I don't know if it is even possible, instead, add the capability to do the remname as a right click menu item when you selct the file.  For example, right click on a file in the windows explorer and the option to tclock-rename with prefix   and tclock-rename with suffix   is offered.

Mark

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #183 on: August 21, 2010, 10:35 AM »
Drag and drop functionality is already built into T-Clock so I'm willing to explore the file rename option there. Adding something to the context menu would force me to have a method of removing it (read uninstall procedure) other than just deleting the clock's folder. So I'll leave that to one of the myriad of other apps out there more oriented toward file management.

@sagji - I know I still owe you a clean (no borked manifest) build, but I've been wrestling with how best to do what with which compiler (VS2005 vs. VS2010). I just don't like VS2010 ... So I've got to run a few test on some of the other (office/work) projects to see if I can decide if the switch is worth it.

Speaking of work/office projects, I've gotten tied up in a large in-house deployment that has had (and will continue to have) me tied up to the point that I'm to fried when I get home to work on T-Clock. Hopefully it will calm down a bit in a month or so and allow me to take another run at the project. I'm just spread a bit to thin these days so I had to drop something before I either screw it up or burn myself out (Which is getting annoyingly easy at my age).

MKappy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #184 on: August 21, 2010, 11:45 PM »
Hi

I just noticed in the Beta 8 version that I just installed that there is a text wrapping issue in the About T-Clock box.  I've attached a screen shot.

The line in Bold that reads
   T-Clock 2010 x64 - Taskbar Clock -        

appears to have wrapped text to the next line but it is mostly obscured by the line that reads
   Stoic Joker 2006 - 2010

Perhaps this is the version number?

Mark
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 11:48 PM by MKappy »

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #185 on: August 22, 2010, 07:53 AM »
Yes, it's one of the items I still need to tweak a bit. It was added during the high DPI tests and I never checked it at the normal (default) settings - which apparently I should have. It will be fixed before the next build is released.

xcopy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #186 on: August 25, 2010, 11:40 AM »
Hi Stoic Joker,

thanks for pointing me to this thread via email.
I just installed TClock 2010 on my Win7x64 and it works perfectly (even the secret hidden it-which-must-not-be-named feature).

Just one thing, compared to your TClock x64 1.01 which I used up to today:
when I use the same font settings for the Clock text the new text is way to bold even when bold is not selected (when it is, it goes ultra-creamy-bold).

This is what v1.0.1 displays with Verdana, 9pt, not bold:
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/2445/v101.png
T-Clock 2010 (download)

And this is the same setting with v2010:
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/9492/v2010.png
T-Clock 2010 (download)

Actually it looks like ClearType was enabled but it's not.
Is there a way to make the text brilliant sharp like it used to be (please :))?

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #187 on: August 25, 2010, 06:32 PM »
Hi Stoic Joker,

thanks for pointing me to this thread via email.
I just installed TClock 2010 on my Win7x64 and it works perfectly (even the secret hidden it-which-must-not-be-named feature).
LOL ;) ...Good man.

Just one thing, compared to your TClock x64 1.01 which I used up to today:
when I use the same font settings for the Clock text the new text is way to bold even when bold is not selected (when it is, it goes ultra-creamy-bold).

This is what v1.0.1 displays with Verdana, 9pt, not bold:
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/2445/v101.png
T-Clock 2010 (download)

And this is the same setting with v2010:
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/9492/v2010.png
T-Clock 2010 (download)

Actually it looks like ClearType was enabled but it's not.
Is there a way to make the text brilliant sharp like it used to be (please :))?

Well... Here's where I'm at (surprised nobody caught this before). I made a change in the way T-Clock creates its-own font at runtime that effectively creates a ClearType font (I was/am debating on making this a configurable option). The native Taskbar transparency is whats queering the deal here, because if you have a dark background the fonts look fine. White or pale backgrounds make the font appear to fuzz.

As an example of this behavior:
Font Fuzz.jpg

Notice it's crystal clear over the command prompt, but it gets fuzzy over the white?

I'm guessing from your screen-shots that you have a light-ish colored wallpaper, Yes?

If you can replicate the test, and confirm this behavior, I'll add including a toggle to the To-Do list so T-Clock's use of ClearType can be disabled internally. *Shrug* ...It seemed like the thing to do at the time - I was shooting for crisper fonts on a dark background - But I have been wrong before... :)

P.S. (Almost forgot) From your screen-shots, it looks like you need to increase the clock height setting a bit (+2 should do) so it stops cutting off the bottom of the g's
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 06:37 PM by Stoic Joker »

xcopy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #188 on: August 25, 2010, 11:46 PM »
Confirmed, it's getting better on dark backgrounds:
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/5058/v2001dark.png
T-Clock 2010 (download)

But still not as nice as in 1.01:
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/951/v101dark.png
T-Clock 2010 (download)

So a "Disable ClearType toggle" sounds good  :up:

P.S. WhooHoo, congrats:
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/810/1000x.png
T-Clock 2010 (download)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 11:55 PM by xcopy »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #189 on: August 28, 2010, 01:25 PM »
Here's a commandline tool to sync clock with internet time, linked from http://shellcity.net -- maybe you could just add a menu item to invoke it.

Cmdtime 3 is easy-to-use command-line utility which adjusts computer's date and time via Internet Time Servers. It's recommended to use it either standalone, or in batch-files, or with external shedulers.

http://www.softshape.com/download/

xcopy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #190 on: August 28, 2010, 02:06 PM »
Cmdtime 3
Works great, thank you for the hint!

xcopy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #191 on: August 28, 2010, 05:34 PM »
In TClock 2010 beta I just tried to assign the mouse click options to various actions.
What I wanted to have is Left-click > Calendar (this one works) and Middle-click > TClock Properties.

This last one doesn't work. Known issue?

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #192 on: August 30, 2010, 06:48 AM »
In TClock 2010 beta I just tried to assign the mouse click options to various actions.
What I wanted to have is Left-click > Calendar (this one works) and Middle-click > TClock Properties.

This last one doesn't work. Known issue?

Yes, MS used the middle button/mouse wheel click for an enhanced Alt - Tab menu on Win7 so it's no longer a viable option to try asigning something (esle) to it. Podnering that it on my To-Do list.

@mouser - Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it.

xcopy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #193 on: December 11, 2010, 09:51 AM »
In previous versions the T-clock Timers had an option to display the remaining time of a timer next to the clock.
The latest (beta8) x64 version has the timer watch window but a window has to be opened a first and this information isn't always visible.

Would it be possible to display the remaining time so that it's always visible? Like beneath the clock or as a transparent layer somewhere on the screen?

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #194 on: December 12, 2010, 09:27 AM »
I honestly don't recall ever seeing that option...but I like it. It's possible it appeared in a different code branch than the one I'm on...(I don't know)...I'd hate to think after all this time I managed to miss something like that ... But stranger things have happened.

The functionality certainly was not intentionally removed. If you can let me know which build/version/authors work you saw this in I'll see what I can do about getting it in (or back in) to T-Clock's feature set.

Development has been stalled for a bit as office projects have had me pinned down but I hope to get it back on-track soon.

xcopy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #195 on: December 13, 2010, 06:06 AM »
Thanks, this is in TClock Light from Kazuto Sato, Filedate 01 July 2004, running on my old XP system.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #196 on: December 13, 2010, 09:35 PM »
Been following your progress on this thread, Stoic.  I have to say it:  I'm awed by you C++ gurus.  I'm just now finally starting to understand events and delegates in C#.  Tried delving into C++ a couple years ago, but was quickly overwhelmed and ran whimpering  back into my C# Cave ;)

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #197 on: December 18, 2010, 07:24 PM »
   Okay, so after a bit of a sabbatical I finally worked up the nerve today to do the compiler downgrade swap to MSVS2008. 2010 just flat irked me, and it killed support for Windows 2000 ... Which IMO is a deal breaker.

The newly posted beta 8.5 (build 85) is identical to the previous build except for the return of Win2k support, fixing the About Tab's text wrapping issue, and the build number. Which granted is a bit dumb, but the Win2k support thing was really bugging me.

It appears I have 2 weeks to finish this thing before I have to change the name ... Feel free to place bets on the outcome.

@kyrathaba - Thank you, but to be honest, I'm far from a guru. There's a lot of guess work, a lot of Google, and a lot of thinks that go very badly. Tenacity and a sense of humor are my two primary "tools". ;)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #198 on: December 19, 2010, 01:50 PM »
@Stoic Joker: You can make 2010 produce executables that work with Win2000, but it requires a bit of mucking around.

I personally prefer VS2010 to 2008, as long as the machine has a non-sucky GPU.
- carpe noctem

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #199 on: December 19, 2010, 10:17 PM »
I never really got the hang of reversing, so you're way ahead of me there. I do recall you mentioning that once before, but the how I'm unclear on. Can you be a bit more specific on the mucking around part?