Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site December 18, 2014, 06:35:30 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2012! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: DONE: Line-Numbered textfile  (Read 3100 times)
RedPillow

Pillows.

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: March 10, 2010, 10:05:18 AM »

I have decided to start this little youtube-game bymyself, where I seek for videos from 1 viewers to 100 000 000 viewers.
And for that, I need a checklist from 1 to 100 000 000.

So, i need someone to make me a program, which creates textfile with lines "from" "to" and user can choose where to start and where to quit, and the max number should be 100 000 000.
And if possible + bonus for you, make it so that in every line there is space after number.
edbro
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 10:39:59 AM »

Can't you do this in Word using Autofill or a macro? I'm not really sure what you are trying to do as I don't know what you mean by "user can choose where to start". Start what?
skwire
Global Moderator

Another Coding Snack request? Om nom nom...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 10:56:33 AM »

This is trivial to write...but you do realise that a text file with 100,000,000 lines will be over 1 gigabyte in size, right?  Trying to manipulate that in most text editors will be an exercise in futility.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 10:58:26 AM by skwire » Logged

skwire
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 11:35:51 AM »

Here you go (source/binary included):  TextLiner.zip

RedPillow

Pillows.

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 12:00:43 PM »

Here you go (source/binary included):  TextLiner.zip
 (see attachment in previous post)

Exactly what I needed!
This is simple and powerful, thanks a ton!

Also, it makes my processor to roll!  Grin

P.S You`re really good @ making nice and clean interfaces.

EDIT: Total filesize for 1 to 100 000 000 file is: 1 063 369.

AND

My notepad started complaining that its too big for her - I have to use something else tongue

ALSO

Wordpad opens it nicely in aprox. 1 minute.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 12:11:17 PM by RedPillow » Logged
MilesAhead

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 03:13:20 PM »

You may be able to find a text editor that only opens a "window" into the file, instead of opening the entire file in memory.  I don't know of any off-hand.  But back in the old Dos days you only had 640KB so you couldn't just load a MB file in ram.  The editor would seek through the file on disk and load a portion of it.

"It's only called research if you didn't find it the first time."
-- MilesAhead
skwire
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 03:48:26 AM »

Exactly what I needed!

Great to hear.  I'll move this to the finished section.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.033s | Server load: 0 ]