ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Should I pay to go from 3.0 to 3.1?

<< < (3/3)

wraith808:
^ Totally agreed.  It seems with the sheer number of license types these days, the real meaning of a subscription based license falls by the wayside.

Darwin:
OK - put it that way and I agree with you (and wraith808)!

Ath:
The real question ofcourse is: Do the improvements warrant the upgrade-price? :-\

wraith808:
I think a lot of people are hung up on version numbers also- version numbers are more subjective than they appear.  Put the idea of license type and version in a pot and stir, and you are bound to get a mess.  So in the end, I think that Ath has it right:

The real question ofcourse is: Do the improvements warrant the upgrade-price? :-\
-Ath (February 26, 2010, 11:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

myarmor:
This sounds like the exact same policy as IDM Computer Solutions has for UltraEdit/UEStudio..
i.e, versionnumbers doesn't matter, but the time after purchase does (they have 1 year,2 years or unlimited upgrades).
The last version released within the purchased upgrade period continues to work after expiry of upgrade period.

When I think about it it is also similar to Stardock's Object Desktop subscription (only that covers a whole sleuth of applications).

As long as this was the terms when you purchased it I don't see how you could argue (if it is timebased they can call the next
version 72.0 and it doesn't matter for those with nonexpired upgrade period).
As you can see that licensing model is used by at least one well known company/product I guess most of you have heard of.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version