topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Recommend anti-spyware, please?  (Read 20512 times)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Recommend anti-spyware, please?
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 03:02 PM »
One of the things I love about MBAM is that, even according to the company, there's almost never a need to run a full scan: the Quick Scan is designed to do the job, and a Quick Scan generally takes < 10 minutes.  That being the case, I tend to run it every day.  Moreover, I don't care what kind of system resources it takes, since it's so fast.   :Thmbsup:

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 08:04 PM »
Just a simple program called SpyBot.

I haven't used Spybot S&D in several years, but I'm sure it still has its fans. But I've never heard of Spybot finding malware which MBAM or SAS missed.

Still, Spybot version 2 will supposedly have realtime protection so who knows--maybe it will have a resurgence in popularity.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 09:07 PM »
I think a simple slider control would be more complexity than people in group 1 want to think about (and they'd still rightly complain about when the software allowed malware through when the slider was set to 'lite-but-less-accurate' mode), and not enough control or detain about what's happening for the people in group 2.

Good point. Then there could be a checkbox that said "Handle this automatically" and when it was checked the slider would be grayed out. :)

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2010, 02:10 PM »
I just saw where Sunbelt Software (VIPRE Rescue) and Malwarebytes (MBAM) have partnered in a joint venture.

http://vipre.malwarebytes.org:
If your system is infected, you need the most powerful combination to clean it. Best of all, through this partnership between Sunbelt Software and Malwarebytes, all the tools you need to scrub your PC clean are free!

Ah, free is good. 8)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2010, 12:24 PM »
.. I run F-PROT Antivirus...

My little head is configured in such a way that I refuse to purchase this F-PROT, for the simple reason that I can only pay for five licenses! No, don't tell me that I get five licenses for the price of one; I only need one, but I cannot have only one; for some weird reason I must have five! My square minded brain then says that in such a case I am clearly also paying for five - which I won't.
 :-[

Is it "good", this five-for-one anti-virus?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2010, 12:59 PM »
My little head is configured in such a way that I refuse to purchase this F-PROT, for the simple reason that I can only pay for five licenses! No, don't tell me that I get five licenses for the price of one; I only need one, but I cannot have only one; for some weird reason I must have five! My square minded brain then says that in such a case I am clearly also paying for five - which I won't.

it does says "License for up to 5 computers in the home" in the main area. this is very much the norm these days in view of the extended number of computers in use at home. iirc, some of the AV vendors such as McAfee and Kaspersky have a 3-user License with their home edition, which means buy one license and use on three computers. however F-Prot's wordings are not consistent because in the sidebar (see pic), the wording makes the user think that they're buying 5 licenses for the price of one.

firefox.exe-16_05_2010-001.png
http://www.f-prot.co...oducts/home_use/win/

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2010, 02:15 PM »
I refuse to purchase this F-PROT, [...] Is it "good", this five-for-one anti-virus?

I don't know if it's "better" or "worse" than othe AVs; as they share virus information, I assumed that efficiency was fairly similar?  An assumption that's not  very safe, I suppose.  But, F-Prot for DOS was free (at least for personal use) and I used it along with the now-defunct TBAV for some years.  When I needed an AV for Windows, it was not only the first one I thought of, but I felt I was paying something back to the company as a debt of honour.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2010, 03:18 PM »
Most any subsicrption based antivirus/malware will let you run their program on more then one computer for the price of one subscription I think.

Probably get flagged as a business for over 3 or 5, depending on the company.

ha14

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2010, 10:09 AM »
Hi
There is Immunet (http://www.immunet.com/), its a cloud fashion, give it try and its free!