ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Stupid phrases like "Free trial!"

(1/4) > >>

superboyac:
It totally rubs me the wrong way when shareware programs advertise in very loud and proud letters, "FREE TRIAL" or "FREE DOWNLOAD" or stupid crap like that.  I hate it because they act like they are offering something special.  Of course it's free!  It's a freaking trial!  Who DOESN'T offer free trials?

Then there's programs like Calendarscope, who smugly say really annoying things like:
After the first 12 months, if you would like to upgrade to a newer version, you will be able to do so after purchasing a discounted upgrade license (and you will get another year of free upgrades with the purchase). Of course, you are in no way obligated to upgrade to the new versions: you may continue using the version that you have purchased for as long as you like, if it works for you well enough, without paying any additional upgrade fees.
--- End quote ---

What?!  Is this a special privilege?  What's the alternative?  That it stops working after a year?  Is someone going to come and make me uninstall it?  What the hell is this that you have to be bragging about?  Can you imagine going into a store, buying a new TV, and the salesman says to you, "Hey Guess what??  Good news!  After a year, the warranty won't be valid, but we will let you still watch the TV and use the TV for free!  how about that?!  Yeah!"  You'd be staring at him like he was a lunatic!

I just find stuff like this so offensive.

mitzevo:
I know what you mean. A lot of it is marketing tactics, love it or hate it :P

tomos:
What?!  Is this a special privilege?  What's the alternative?  That it stops working after a year?  Is someone going to come and make me uninstall it?
-superboyac (February 26, 2010, 12:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

unfortunately the answer is becoming a yes

i think there is a key distinction one needs to make in terms of what is and is not a subscription based license.  as long as the previous version still works after the period, then i think you are talking about an upgrade price not a subscription fee.  it's only when the program stops working and you have to pay to continue using the software, that you have a subscription system.
-mouser (February 25, 2010, 04:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Krishean:
well at least nobody has thought of a "you have to pay to uninstall" service yet
although some uninstallers might as well be:
a lot of antiviruses (not going to name any, but i think everyone knows which ones i mean) you have to get a special removal tool to get the darn things off your system, and improper removal will completely hose your system / network connection because they so heavily integrate themselves into your system that they might as well be a virus themselves

edit: free trial/download, with hidden text: "to remove this application from your computer you must pay a removal fee"

superboyac:
This reminds me of an entirely different, yet related situation that I once experienced in basketball:
So we play pick-up basketball, and if there are more than 10 people, you have to shoot free throws, and the first 10 who make it get to play, and whoever doesn't make the free throw will obviously play the next game.  it just so happens that I miss my free throws, and I'm the one who has to wait, and I'm pissed.  So my friend (real good guy) to comfort me says really nicely to me, "Hey man, you have next game, ok?".  he's just trying to be nice, but I'm thinking, 'Well of course i have the next game!  It's not like it's something special or there was the chance that I DIDN'T have the next game."

But I was pissed, so I snapped back realy rudely, "I KNOW I have the next game!  You don't have to tell me that!  What am I?  A Fucking Moron??"

Anyway, that's exactly how I feel about all this.  I understand why they do it, but it's still annoying.  I just came across a few more "Free 14-day trial"  no shit?!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version