ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Pirate vs. Paying Customer illustrated

<< < (7/12) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
Actually I used to "pirate" my legally bought DVDs
-CheckUserFirst (March 10, 2010, 11:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

I still do, and my PC games as well, mainly because I like to have a digital copy on my computer, but I own DVD versions for a few reasons:

1: Piracy is against the law, but there are no laws about having an illegal version of a game when you own a legit copy, so long as the legit copy the same version as the copy you have downloaded.

2: I don't want to, now, or ever, go fully digital with my game and DVD purchases.  I would much rather have a huge collection of Games/DVD's/CD's that friends and family can browse through at their leisure if they wish to borrow something.  Also, not wanting to go digital is also about having a hard copy of the game, and its contents (Booklet, Instruction Manual etc...) because I feel this brings 'owning it' more to life.

3. Going fully digital stops my ability to be able to just install a game at my leisure, play it, and uninstall, without ever having to go online.  Some people are on limited connections (I am on mobile broadband with only allows me 500mb of data transfer a day) and that stops us from downloading games at 4-8GB each.

4. I don't like companies such as steam, who offer single-player, offline only games, yet FORCE you to be online while playing.  They also (I don't know about the latest version of steam, I now refuse to ever own it again) punish you for losing internet connection.  What I mean by this, is, if you unexpectedly lose your connection for any reason, while steam is in ONLINE mode, you CANNOT get to your games.  You have to be ONLINE to turn the damn thing to OFFLINE.

I could go on, but I think I would just be ranting if I did!  8)

JavaJones:
Uh, I don't think Steam really works that way. At least not the last time I used it (admittedly a year or so ago). Ubisoft's new games on the other hand are exactly like that. One would assume the big fuss about Ubi's new practices wouldn't have been such a big deal had Steam been doing that all along.

- Oshyan

wraith808:
4. I don't like companies such as steam, who offer single-player, offline only games, yet FORCE you to be online while playing.  They also (I don't know about the latest version of steam, I now refuse to ever own it again) punish you for losing internet connection.  What I mean by this, is, if you unexpectedly lose your connection for any reason, while steam is in ONLINE mode, you CANNOT get to your games.  You have to be ONLINE to turn the damn thing to OFFLINE.
-Stephen66515 (March 10, 2010, 11:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

This isn't true.  As long as the game was not in the middle of updating when you lost your connection, you can always go offline.  If it's in the middle of downloading, you don't have the information downloaded to allow offline use.

zridling:
Score one for the good guys in Europe:
European Parliament votes 663-13 against ACTA
http://www.euractiv.com/en/health/meps-defy-commission-internet-piracy-agreement-news-326215

Just FYI: Obama supports ACTA (boo! dude, boo! The US is its main pusher.)

Carol Haynes:
ACTA seems quite lenient compared to current UK legislation and government ideas. Currently it is illegal to attempt to circumvent copy protection. So in theory even thinking "I wonder how ...?" could set the thought police on you for an offence! Add to that the current proposal for one strike and your off the internet and ACTA seems almost rational!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version