Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 20, 2014, 11:40:46 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2013! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Vista blocking some Internet access  (Read 1933 times)
rjbull
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: February 23, 2010, 05:02:26 PM »

My laptop has the misfortune to be lumbered with Vista Home Premium.  I've been looking at NoteFrog, and it thinks I have no Internet connection.  I also asked HippoEdit to check its Internet version: it said "Connection to Internet could not be established!"

I was running in a user account.  When I changed to the admin account, both worked, Internet connection was made.  But I've also set permissions on both programs to give full control to the user account.  So why can't they access the Internet?  I checked my firewall, Online-Armor, and WinPatrol Plus, and they don't list either program (as far as I can see).

What do I have to do to make my computer do what I tell it to do?
Josh
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 05:06:26 PM »

Did you enable them in the windows firewall for public networks? That can sometimes cause an issue. It has to be set on an admin level account

Strength in Knowledge
rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 05:22:21 PM »

Did you enable them in the windows firewall for public networks?
Do you mean Windows Defender?  If so, I can't see either in its lists.
Josh
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 05:36:55 PM »

In the actual firewall.

Start - Control Panel - Windows Firewall

Click "allow a program or port through the firewall"

Make sure both programs are A. In the list and B. checked (enabled)

Strength in Knowledge
rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 05:47:25 PM »

Start - Control Panel - Windows Firewall
OK, thanks, done that now - but, Windows Firewall was turned OFF, because I was using Online-Armor.  I think OA's default is to turn Windows Firewall OFF when it's on itself, and to turn Windows Firewall back on if OA is turned off.  No Internet access change, and as Windows Firewall was off wasn't really expecting one, unless I need to reboot.  Getting late (for me) so I'll return to the struggle tomorrow (actually, it's BE tomorrow local time in ten minutes, but I meant a bit longer than that...).
Josh
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 05:51:13 PM »

Hmmm, Very odd. Let me check out my vista box tomorrow and I will see if I can find any possible cause for that. We just migrated to Vista so I have plenty of machines to test smiley

Strength in Knowledge
rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 09:32:53 AM »

Sorry, folks, false alarm.  It was a firewall problem   embarassed  I had the same problem with both NoteFrog and HippoEdit.  I couldn't see entries for either of them in Online-Armor, either allowed or banned.  Both authors suggested adding their programs manually.  I've done that now, and the problem has disappeared.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.033s | Server load: 0.12 ]