ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Confessions of an Internet “Shock Jock”

(1/2) > >>

mouser:
Interesting and cautionary tale about how trying to profit over controversy often comes back to haunt you.

You see, what Galen and I discovered was that the topics that were most effective in drawing readers were also those that skirted the edges of both legitimacy and taste. For example, if I wrote an entry detailing some deeply held belief about a particular IT vendor or technology, nobody paid any attention. However, if I simply vented about something that was bugging me – a mysterious crash in Vista or some piece of VDI “marchitecture” coming out of VMware – the attention level shot through the roof.  Eventually, I found myself enjoying the buzz that my “angry missives” would generate. Little did I realize how quickly such a model could deteriorate or how much it could damage me, personally, once it fell apart...

--- End quote ---

http://exo-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/editorial-confessions-of-internet-shock.html

from http://slashdot.org/

f0dder:
There's been a whole bunch of draaaaaama about this guy during the past week - serves him right for being a fool. Considering how much he's lied, cheated and misrepresented information in the past, I do wonder how much of this confessions story is true and how much is made up... or just grossly twisted from the truth.

At least it's (hopefully!) game-over posting crap. :-* on Ars-Technica and the rest of the people that's helped expose the moron.

40hz:
"Time wounds all heels."

Bamse:
Some IT people, typically those working with IT, like to make a note of their experience while they are offering lesser gifted people insight ;) Or show a badge even, like MVP. "I’ve been a professional in the IT industry for over 25 years." is great for those with a dislike for "IT-pros" :D

He will never truly realize how much of a fool he is. Closest buzzing Randall gets is "the internet became engulfed in controversy".

Kamel:
trolls are not to be fed

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version