topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 5:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Confessions of an Internet “Shock Jock”  (Read 6451 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Confessions of an Internet “Shock Jock”
« on: February 24, 2010, 09:23 AM »
Interesting and cautionary tale about how trying to profit over controversy often comes back to haunt you.

You see, what Galen and I discovered was that the topics that were most effective in drawing readers were also those that skirted the edges of both legitimacy and taste. For example, if I wrote an entry detailing some deeply held belief about a particular IT vendor or technology, nobody paid any attention. However, if I simply vented about something that was bugging me – a mysterious crash in Vista or some piece of VDI “marchitecture” coming out of VMware – the attention level shot through the roof.  Eventually, I found myself enjoying the buzz that my “angry missives” would generate. Little did I realize how quickly such a model could deteriorate or how much it could damage me, personally, once it fell apart...

from http://slashdot.org/

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Confessions of an Internet “Shock Jock”
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 01:47 PM »
There's been a whole bunch of draaaaaama about this guy during the past week - serves him right for being a fool. Considering how much he's lied, cheated and misrepresented information in the past, I do wonder how much of this confessions story is true and how much is made up... or just grossly twisted from the truth.

At least it's (hopefully!) game-over posting crap. :-* on Ars-Technica and the rest of the people that's helped expose the moron.
- carpe noctem

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 02:13 PM »
"Time wounds all heels."

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 02:22 PM »
Some IT people, typically those working with IT, like to make a note of their experience while they are offering lesser gifted people insight ;) Or show a badge even, like MVP. "I’ve been a professional in the IT industry for over 25 years." is great for those with a dislike for "IT-pros" :D

He will never truly realize how much of a fool he is. Closest buzzing Randall gets is "the internet became engulfed in controversy".

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 12:02 PM »
trolls are not to be fed
I'm the guy you yell at when your DSL goes down...

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 05:26 PM »
The trouble with trolls is that they regenerate. Only acid in combination with fire will put them down.   ;)