topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:57 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Running as non elevated user  (Read 3458 times)

jeepers

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Running as non elevated user
« on: February 22, 2010, 04:10 PM »
Hi, I have t0 run Circle Dock as "Administrator" for it to run properly, if i open Circle Dock as a non Admin it opens O.K. but as soon as i change anything and click on the Close button..i get a "Access denied" error with a heap of other stuff...i have to either click on retry or abort a couple of times to exit.

If i open Circle Dock as an Administrator  then the program runs and exits fine....I have Circle Dock starting with Windows, but it will only start as a non Admin user ( I do not know how to get it to start as an Admin...If thats what i'm supposed to do :-[ ) Is there a way i can get Circle Dock to run properly as a Non Admin user ?.

Also when i use a Stack folder it does not show any program icons  onlt the generic white paper ones.. i followed the Help tutorial but its a bit different in 1.5.4 than what is showed in the Help tutorial.

Circle Dock 1.5.4
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Powercolour 4870
Intel Q8200

cheers
Jeepers

O.K. I uninstalled it and re-installed it on a secondary drive...and now it works O.K. seems it didn't like the System drive.

cheers
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 07:43 PM by jeepers »

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Running as non elevated user
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 10:05 PM »
Greetings Jeepers  ;D
Good to have you here at the CD forums, and a member of DonationCoder.com as well

What is interfering is the Windows UAC

I am glad that you have found an alternative.
I did so Myself.
As Windows only monitors so many folders, I created a "Program Files (Alternative)" folder, and placed it to C:\
This has had a lot of advantages for me, especially as I use a lot of portable and self-contained programs.
The UAC will monitor the programs from this location, but will not restrict read/write access, which is what is needed at this time.

There will be updates, and as soon as Markham can isolate and determine the best route for these R/W files, everyone will know

Thanks for you input
I hope to see more of you here at the forums

Regards
The Sarge