topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: UAC Issues - Vista/Windows 7, 32 & 64-bit  (Read 24341 times)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: UAC Issues - Vista/Windows 7, 32 & 64-bit
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 01:26 PM »
Interestingly the core executable is about 50KB smaller when compiled as 64-bit that it is compiled as 32-bit. However, after binding-in the support DLLs, the 32-bit version is about 3KB smaller.
The dotNET bytecode for 32- and 64-bit versions are probably going to be very similar - the runtime JIT'ed code is a different amtter, though :). If using the same assemblies, I would actually have thought the only difference was the manifest stating that machine type was x64 rather than x86 (or neutral).

I must confirm that Circle Dock (64bit) renders faster and is more responsive in the Windows 7 64bit enviro.
I have been deeply considering the "why" of this, and I am starting to think of an old post that was created here:
https://www.donation....msg161278#msg161278
The bottom line would be: 64bit handles graphics better (period)
Personal experience.
What graphics technology does CircleDock use, though?

As I've mentioned previously, the one slowdown I've seen was an app using GDI+... for DirectX, OpenGL and regular GDI I haven't been able to see a difference between 32- and 64-bit OSes (well, I don't have any intensive regular GDI apps, so perhaps regular GDI could be affected as well)

I could be way off, But I figure this is something that may need to be explored, then confirmed or ruled out.
Indeed - and perhaps an alternate graphics library should be tested? Might be considerable work, but if CD currently uses GDI/GDI+, it could probably get a nice speed boost from moving to something that leverages hardware acceleration properly?

What's the status of the StandaloneStack thing, btw? From my (very quick and superficial) look, it seems that there's no official site for it, only attachments in forum posts? Active development, closed source, ...?
- carpe noctem

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2010, 02:19 AM »
What graphics technology does CircleDock use, though?

As I've mentioned previously, the one slowdown I've seen was an app using GDI+... for DirectX, OpenGL and regular GDI I haven't been able to see a difference between 32- and 64-bit OSes (well, I don't have any intensive regular GDI apps, so perhaps regular GDI could be affected as well) ...

- and perhaps an alternate graphics library should be tested? Might be considerable work, but if CD currently uses GDI/GDI+, it could probably get a nice speed boost from moving to something that leverages hardware acceleration properly?
Circle Dock is written around GDI for which there's good support with dotNET and I believe newer dotNET technologies, by which I mean WPF and Silverlight, are GDI-based. However, Circle Dock is currently built to support dot Net version 2 and I believe GDI was improved for v3.5. I am, in fact, planning to switch to dotNet 3.5 for the next major release, something which may not be popular with some of our XP users.

What's the status of the StandaloneStack thing, btw? From my (very quick and superficial) look, it seems that there's no official site for it, only attachments in forum posts? Active development, closed source, ...?
There is a site for StandaloneStacks which is a program designed to use a Rocket Dock/Object Dock compatible Docklet by some guy called "Matonga". But neither appear to be actively developed, are closed-source (afaik) and their authors seem to rarely post. I may yet drop internal support for this, a move the Sarge favours!

Mark

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 11:22 AM »
Hm, improved GDI support? Wonder if that'll help much, GDI in and by itself isn't the best API for realtime graphics.

WPF is built around DirectX (specifically I think it's D3D9), so it should give better graphics performance - haven't used it myself, though.

I am, in fact, planning to switch to dotNet 3.5 for the next major release, something which may not be popular with some of our XP users.
3.5 not available for XP?
- carpe noctem