topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Problems, suggestions, and comments after substantial work with LBC  (Read 4388 times)

wrwetzel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I configured LBC for use with a large collection of portable apps a couple of months ago. With an apology for the late posting and that this post concerns a release a revision old I offer my thoughts and suggestions. Some of this may be redundant with an earlier posting but I'm including all my notes here for completeness.

Environment: LBC 1.108.01, Windows XP SP2, AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.61 GHz, 4 GByte ram

1) It would be convenient to be able to drag-and-drop an application onto a dock or menu to add the app to the dock or menu.

2) It would be convenient to have a toolbar on the dock including "hide" to hide the dock, "configure" to show the configuration menu, and so on.

3) I suggest a "profile" facility for managing multiple configurations. Each dock/menu entry could have zero or more associated tags. A profile menu would provide a way to restrict the entries in a dock/menu to those containing a given tag or tags, or all. I would use this to reduce the complexity of my menus for day-to-day use while still supporting all of the apps I use for less frequent maintenance tasks.

4) I suggest a "print" facility to create a report showing the full dock/menu tree with an indicator for missing applications.

5) I have/am finding it difficult to insure that all installed apps are represented in the dock/menu. It would be helpful if LBC could search the folder containing applications (c:\Program Files typically but I use C:\Apps) and display a comparison of installed executables vs. ones in the dock/menu.

6) Multiple monitor support - I can't be specific here but it appears that LBC is not aware of configurations including multiple monitors. On many occasions LBC appeared to loose track of the location of a window/dock/menu when it was displayed on a second monitor.

That's all for now. I have a long list of others but too much time has elapsed since I created it and I have forgotten the details.

Bill

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Problems, suggestions, and comments after substantial work with LBC
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 04:23 PM »
6) Multiple monitor support - I can't be specific here but it appears that LBC is not aware of configurations including multiple monitors. On many occasions LBC appeared to loose track of the location of a window/dock/menu when it was displayed on a second monitor.

i have noticed this occasionally myself -- one trick seems to be to undock the launch bar, move it to the monitor you want it to dock to (leaving it undocked) and place it there floating, then dock it.  that is, it seems one of the ways it gets confused if it was never undocked on the monitor it lives on.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Problems, suggestions, and comments after substantial work with LBC
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 04:24 PM »
1) It would be convenient to be able to drag-and-drop an application onto a dock or menu to add the app to the dock or menu.

doesn't LBC already support this -- only limitation is you have to drag to an empty space.