ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Right, time to work on...o_0 a shiny penny, I WANT IT!

<< < (2/3) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
Certainly seems like the logical way to do it, but it's much easier said than done.

I have tried writing a list of what needs to be done, that was an epic fail, then I tried doing 1 chapter at once, kept getting distracted, and I have tried countless other things.

I'm thinking of maybe wiping off one of my computers, putting myself in a locked room and make sure the only thing on that computer is the project I wanna work on, and NOTHING else, not even pre-installed games like Solitaire and such lol

tomos:
I've found that the fastest way to get anything done is to slow down - Screw the "Big Picture" it's fuzzy chaotic and detail-less. Well defined problems always have simple answers and frenetic motion just wastes energy. Stick to the nuts & bolts.

Looking at a project in it's entirety can/will quickly overwhelm you, so just pick part of it, an small part and boil it down to its most basic form ... Then do that. And the next bit, and the next...and pretty soon you'll find yourself at the other end if it - Done. Now step back for a "Big Picture" view of only that project. If anything is missing do that (only), if not move to next project.
-Stoic Joker (February 21, 2010, 01:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

that's a great post :up:

I'm thinking of maybe wiping off one of my computers, putting myself in a locked room and make sure the only thing on that computer is the project I wanna work on, and NOTHING else, not even pre-installed games like Solitaire and such lol
-Stephen66515 (February 21, 2010, 01:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I tried that lately, dusted off my old laptop (which has no internet connection), cleaned up the contents a bit, spent an intense hour or so writing, & thought great - do that again tomorrow night.
The laptop died the next time I turned it on - I even lost what I had written lol

KynloStephen66515:
I tried that lately, dusted off my old laptop (which has no internet connection), cleaned up the contents a bit, spent an intense hour or so writing, & thought great - do that again tomorrow night.
The laptop died the next time I turned it on - I even lost what I had written lol

--- End quote ---

lmfao, unlucky

Stoic Joker:
Certainly seems like the logical way to do it, but it's much easier said than done.-Stephen66515 (February 21, 2010, 01:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

True, but that's why you start with something small - It doesn't take a ton of energy to focus on. Most of the time we find ourselves trying to force ourselves into creative mode - Quick Say Something Brillient... (Um...) - Which fails every time.

The trick is to suck yourself into the project, by focusing on small point X throughout the day. Face it, we all spend a great deal of our day doing thing that don't exactly require our full attention... Use that time. Once you find an angle on the problem that you want to try, and have let it fester in you mind all day ... Getting started becomes much easier.

app103:
If I were to tell you to clear your mind of everything else and focus on one thing for 10 minutes, then you can have a 2 minute break to do all that other stuff, then back to work for another 10...etc.

And you don't even have to watch the clock because I'll do that for you and tell you when to take a break and when to get back to work, do you think you could be more focused?

For some people, knowing they only have to work for a short time and that they have a set scheduled break to check email, reorganize their paperclips, twitter, facebook, or whatever else normally clutters their head while working, and knowing they don't have to watch the clock for fear they might miss the opportunity to do all that stuff, helps them concentrate better on what they are supposed to be doing.

It's probably why so many people love my Instant Boss application.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version