ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Free Pascal - Lazarus?

<< < (4/7) > >>

wraith808:
It's funny.  After reading this thread I started looking around.  You would think you'd be able to pick up like a used Delphi Pro or something cheap. I didn't notice anything like that though.

-MilesAhead (February 22, 2010, 04:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, older version of delphi sell for *more* strangely enough.  I have no idea why that is.

MilesAhead:
It's funny.  After reading this thread I started looking around.  You would think you'd be able to pick up like a used Delphi Pro or something cheap. I didn't notice anything like that though.

--- End quote ---

Actually, older version of delphi sell for *more* strangely enough.  I have no idea why that is.
-wraith808 (February 22, 2010, 09:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Was Delphi 5 the last to produce VCL stand-alone .exe?  I don't know.  I know it's the last version I bought.  Delphi 5 Pro.  The only reason I don't have it set up anymore is if I install Delphi 5, then I'll feel compelled to put on the Jedi stuff.  Besides, for the stuff I'm doing now AutoIt3 and AHK are simpler and less maintenance.  Small programs seem to compile to around 300 KB no matter which one I use.

wraith808:
Was Delphi 5 the last to produce VCL stand-alone .exe?
-MilesAhead (February 22, 2010, 10:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, all versions produce VCL stand-alone .exes other than Delphi 8 (which was .net only)

app103:
It's funny.  After reading this thread I started looking around.  You would think you'd be able to pick up like a used Delphi Pro or something cheap. I didn't notice anything like that though.

--- End quote ---

There is an additional problem with older versions: After the sale to Embarcadero, they pulled all the updates to the older version off the site, and now even registered users can no longer get copies of the updates and bug fixes for them. This took effect August 2009 and affects BDS 2006 and all versions of Delphi v7 and older.

And you can no longer register those versions, too. So there would be no way you could use it unless you had already previously registered it.

I think Embarcadero is trying to force developers to upgrade to a non-Borland release in order to make some money on the whole deal.

wraith808:
There is an additional problem with older versions: After the sale to Embarcadero, they pulled all the updates to the older version off the site, and now even registered users can no longer get copies of the updates and bug fixes for them. This took effect August 2009 and affects BDS 2006 and all versions of Delphi v7 and older.

And you can no longer register those versions, too. So there would be no way you could use it unless you had already previously registered it.

I think Embarcadero is trying to force developers to upgrade to a non-Borland release in order to make some money on the whole deal.
-app103 (February 22, 2010, 11:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Are you serious?  That's just totally crazy!  Actually, before D8, you could use your copy indefinitely without registering- that online registration stuff only went live with D8.  

And people wonder why consumers grumble about heavy handed DRM... :(

I wonder if you contacted them and complained would they let you activate it...?

And the funny thing about this is I was considering buying the Embarcadero release even though I don't use Delphi much- just because it looked like a good environment, and I go back to Delphi every once in a while.  Now?  I don't think so.  When I get my new computer and try to install BDS 2006, I guess I'll see...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version