ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Free Pascal - Lazarus?

<< < (3/7) > >>

app103:
I am not recommending Delphi to anyone any more until they bring back the free turbos. And I am not recommending Lazarus to anyone unless they are already a Delphi developer and they want to develop for Linux and Mac.

I have only tried Lazarus under Ubuntu and not Windows.

It felt like a crude imitation of Delphi, not even up to the level Delphi 6 was, almost 10 years ago.

I am not sure if it has the same issues in Windows, but my word of advice is if you decide to use it (at least in Ubuntu) don't go more than a few minutes without saving your work. It likes to spontaneously combust. One second it's on your screen, then next, poof it's gone, and so is whatever you were working on.

The only reason why I even tried it was because object pascal is the language I feel most comfortable with, and I wanted to develop some cross platform software.

If it were not for that, I probably wouldn't use it again for another 10 years, and hope by then it at least is as good as Delphi 6.

Seriously, go with Visual Studio and C# unless you really need portability :)
-f0dder (February 21, 2010, 05:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree. And if C# isn't your thing for some reason, there is always vb.net.

wraith808:
I am not sure if it has the same issues in Windows, but my word of advice is if you decide to use it (at least in Ubuntu) don't go more than a few minutes without saving your work. It likes to spontaneously combust. One second it's on your screen, then next, poof it's gone, and so is whatever you were working on.
-app103 (February 21, 2010, 06:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
It doesn't have this problem on windows, or I wouldn't have even given it the reserved recommendation that I did.  It's just, as app said, crude.

electronixtar:
I also have some little Delphi apps to modify

MilesAhead:
It's funny.  After reading this thread I started looking around.  You would think you'd be able to pick up like a used Delphi Pro or something cheap. I didn't notice anything like that though.

kartal:
Btw I have found 2 alternatives for myself(for now) for Python. One is PyGtk+Glade and the other is WxformBuilder. Pygtk+Glade gives back an xml file which is nice so that the Gui file is seperate. Wxformdesigner looks nice and updated regularly some what

http://www.wxformbuilder.org/ (check out forums for the nightly releases)

Here is a nice Pygtk-Glade tutorial
http://www.learningpython.com/2006/05/07/creating-a-gui-using-pygtk-and-glade/

I am giving a try with Glade for now, see how it goes :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version