ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Free Pascal - Lazarus?

(1/7) > >>

kartal:
Hi
I am thinking to start GUI programming and I am thinking that maybe Free pascal + Lazarus
might be a decent choice since both are free and open source.
I normall use Python for my needs but gui stuff is tedius with Python. Since I am a hobbiest I do not want to invest great
deal of time to do some decent looking GUIs. I am not comparing both languages at all , I just have different needs sometimes.
I use TKinter here and there for small needs and seems to be ok for my little needs.

What are your suggstions, ideas about Pascal in general and about GI programming?

wraith808:
I used pascal for years professionally, and for all of my hobby programs, and I can say that I enjoyed the language.  The caveat is, I used Delphi the whole time.  I've done some Lazarus stuff, and it was painful.  Better than Python on the gui stuff, but really painful.  If you want to go the pascal route, I'd really recommend Turbo Delphi at http://www.turboexplorer.com/.  It's free also, so if open source isn't a necessity, it's an alternative.

kartal:
wraith808

Thanks for the suggestion but I am not seeing any free version there. They  are trial versions?

I have used Pascal as well but that was 18 years ago :) It was Turbo Pascal 5.5

Edvard:
In what way is Lazarus painful?
As long as a given IDE has a parser to handle Pascal, perhaps a better one could be found?
How about Bloodshed Dev-Pascal?

Apparently Borland Delphi has changed hands a few times, and now resides with Embarcadero.
It's Windows-only, 32-bit only, so if you want to go cross-platform, you'll have to look elsewhere.

I've kicked around the idea of learning Pascal for a while, but everyone I've talked to about it seems to think it's going the way of the buffalo.
Sure doesn't look that way...

f0dder:
I've kicked around the idea of learning Pascal for a while, but everyone I've talked to about it seems to think it's going the way of the buffalo.
Sure doesn't look that way...-Edvard (February 21, 2010, 10:04 AM)
--- End quote ---
For the sake of perspective: there's still people developing in Visual Basic.

The first programming language I picked up was Borland Turbo Pascal 6.0, and at the time it was great - super fast compiler, could even compile&link directly to RAM (which made test/modify development cycles a lot faster than going to disk - this was before the days of UDMA harddrives). The IDE and help integration of Borland's products were ahead of everyone else. I even got around to play with Delphi after moving to Windows.

But after I went with C++, I haven't really looked back. My original reason for switching was the lack of 32bit compilers, and a growing feeling that it was a language "with training wheels". Also, the code generation of the compilers kinda sucked (haven't looked at recent Pascal compilers, but I'd be surprised if they're up to par with the leading C++ compilers). I fail to see why anybody would pick up Pascal as a new language today, really - C++ or C# for practical stuff, Java as an introductory language.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version