ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Help is NO HELP

<< < (8/8)

crabby3:
Guess I have CPU gremlins?

Most days the CPU just idles as I surf.  Others it's going into cardiac arrest.  No gaming or ad-drenched sites.

Maybe it's preprogrammed tasks?  Virus?  Malware?

Full virus scan monthly.  Quick scan weekly.  Spyware, adware, malware daily.

If I haven't used the mouse for a while the pointer will skip across the screen when I move it but nothing really bad happens.

I could make popcorn in the fan air.    :(

Shades:
Use a piece of software called Process Explorer, you can download it for free from the Microsoft website.
This software will show you all that is going on in your computer, making it easy to identify which process(es) claim a lot of CPU. If you don't know the name of the process, research on the net will show you solutions rather easy and quickly.

crabby3:
Use a piece of software called Process Explorer, you can download it for free from the Microsoft website.
This software will show you all that is going on in your computer, making it easy to identify which process(es) claim a lot of CPU. If you don't know the name of the process, research on the net will show you solutions rather easy and quickly.
-Shades (February 01, 2014, 09:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you Shades.  I think I may have found the cause already.  A stupid IE add-on.  For grabbing videos you can't download using save target as.  A little while ago the CPU was going crazy.  Turning off auto-detect let it go back to idle.  Don't know why I didn't remember this setting sooner.  Off and on use I guess.  I can't seem to part with free stuff... even if I don't use it much.

crabby3:
Why are some of my file names in blue?  This blue file and/or folder name issue has bugged me for a while.

Windows Explorer will display compressed files in blue. Files can be compressed to save disk space, but there are ramifications to consider.
--- End quote ---

Mouser refers to Ask Leo here but I don't think I would have found it because this topic is about registry cleaning.

Ask Leo's Home Page is  http://askleo.com/ask-leo/  for other questions one might have.   :)

BTW
... In case you're wondering, encrypted files display in green...
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version