ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

People are really (really, really) stupid

<< < (5/9) > >>

Deozaan:
I dont think this is stupidity - it's ignorance - these are mostly people who have never learned (in the sense of being taught, but maybe in every sense?!) about using a computer. Have you ever tried to teach beginners - they have an icon the desktop - that's the INTERNET, and god help them (and you) if it moves for any reason. They have no concept of what it is they're using or how it works. Search vs. URL's huh??? :huh: :huh: that's a more advanced science.-tomos (February 20, 2010, 02:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

I completely agree with the above.

As I said before, what shocked and saddened me wasn't necessarily that people were using this method to find their sites - I get that it's basic ignorance, or just what they've found easiest/most intuitive to do. It was the fact that once they got to the site that looked totally different than Facebook and had none of the Facebook content and had an obvious article written *about* Facebook, they didn't stop to think maybe they got the wrong site, they just assumed someone had "broken their Facebooks!!1!1" and then proceeded to make incredibly retarded comments about it. *That* is stupid. Yes, I stand by that. Did it not even cross these people's minds that it could be another site? They've been to other sites on the Internet besides Facebook, right? Or at the least they know other sites *exist*... so, they're idiots.  :P-JavaJones (February 20, 2010, 04:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

And I also pretty much agree with that as well.

I think a huge part of the security problems on the Internet stem from the fact that people just seem to have their brains turned off when online. Imagine if you were walking down the street to your favorite coffee shop, you come to where it should be and step inside, yet it's totally different, there is no menu, it's filled with shoes, and the staff is different. Do you A: walk up to the counter and start yelling at them about getting you coffee or B: walk back outside and see if you stepped into the wrong door and realize that it's one door down? I'd like to think most people, even the idiots in that comment thread, would opt for B. That being the case, why the hell didn't they apply the same common sense to their online navigation? Yeesh!-JavaJones (February 20, 2010, 05:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

And finally, with that as well.

It reminds me of my 5 year old niece, who when she can't find her shoes/sippy cup/whatever insists she can't find it but won't even try looking for it. You can tell her exactly where to look for it ("I saw it in that room right there." *pointing*) but still she won't look.

Many people who otherwise seem quite intelligent do that very thing with computers. "Argh! I don't know where it is! I'm helpless to look for the answer myself! I'll ask someone who knows these things." Then they watch you look around and explore on their machine right in front of them and yet next time they need help they still don't think to look in the menu or whatever you did.

slowmaker:
You know, I've said it before and I will say it again. We need to remove all safety warnings from every product and this stupidity problem will solve itself. People will LEARN to survive and do what needs to be done. Darwinism FTW!-Josh (February 20, 2010, 03:06 AM)
--- End quote ---
The gene pool could sure use some chlorine :)
-f0dder (February 20, 2010, 03:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, evolutionary forces can work the other way as well; look up the classic SF author C.M. Kornbluth and his Marching Morons short story sometime. ;D

(I think there were two: The Marching Morons and The Little Black Bag)

nudone:
Many people who otherwise seem quite intelligent do that very thing with computers. "Argh! I don't know where it is! I'm helpless to look for the answer myself! I'll ask someone who knows these things." Then they watch you look around and explore on their machine right in front of them and yet next time they need help they still don't think to look in the menu or whatever you did.
-Deozaan (February 21, 2010, 01:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

very, very true.

higherstate:
I used to work in a support dept. so believe me I have seen computer stupid... like to guy who tried to use the mouse by placing it on the screen and moving it around.

However, we shouldn't be too harsh, I remember the first time I used a browser in the early 90's & someone told me to type in 3 w's..... so I typed in 3w... :o

If you have always typed in facebook into the address bar & it worked then it is understandable that it would confuse the hell out of you if it suddenly stopped working. That is the problem with google taking over everything imho.

If they didn't offer this 'extra' service there wouldn't be a problem.

parkint:
After repeated warnings, a woman in SA 'chose' to respond to the Absa Bank Phishing scam email! She was on TV bemoaning her account being wiped out -  :huh: when will they learn!
-CleverCat (February 20, 2010, 01:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

I saw a great bumper sticker:  "God must love stupid people.  He made so many of them!"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version