ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > ProcessTamer

Processes running as IUSR_SERVER

(1/3) > >>

benwylie:
Has anyone discovered how to get Process Tamer to be able to control processes which are run by the IUSR_SERVER user which is the anonymous internet user. I have processtamer running as a system service, so under the SYSTEM user, which i would have thought would be able to change the priority of those processes, as it is able to change the priority of processes running as Administrator.

PT is running as SYSTEM, and works well with other processes running as SYSTEM. If a process is running as ADMINISTRATOR its process priority is modified initially, but if it gets changed for whatever reason, it is not automatically reset to the priority PT is meant to force it to. Is there a reason for this? With processes running as SYSTEM, if their priority is manually changed, PT will automatically force it back to the set priority.

I am also unclear as to whether it is meant to be able to alter the priority of processes running as NETWORK SERVICE.

Any thoughts on any of these?

Cheers,
Ben

mouser:
there are some tools for running an exe as a service..
maybe that would give it enought permission?
im not very good with permissions

Sentinel:

Yes, the only way for Process Tamer to control processes running as other users is to run a copy of Process Tamer as that user, so it has the ability to interact with that particular users processes.

As mouser said, you may be able to run the tray program as a service.  Alternatively you could run the process directly using 'runas'.  If you want the tray program to run automatically as a different user every time you start your server you could use RunAsPro or TQCRunAs.  I don't think that it is possible to run multiple copies of the ProcessTamerTray.exe, so it will only work for one user at the time.  That is unless mouser adds an option to run multiple instances.  ;)

TQCRunAs http://www.quimeras.com
RunAs Professional http://www.mast-computer.com/c_9-l_en.html
MakeService http://www.bitsum.com/ (I've found this to work well in the past and it is free!)

I hope this is of some help.

mouser:
first let's hear if running it as system service solves the problem.

if not.. one thing that could be done is just run 1 copy of process tamer, but have it invoke a commandline separate program using something like a RunAs, that would lower a target program's priority.

ie, i could make it so that process tamer tries to run a special helper utility as the same user as the target process, for thse kinds of processes.  however if running process tamer as a service solves this, that would be a much easier solution..

tenseiken:
I know that there are 3rd party ways to do this (srvany.exe), but maybe in an upcoming version, you could have an option in the installation to have it run as a service.  Might make it easier for everyone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version