ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to encrypt a USB drive without admin rights?

(1/7) > >>

rjbull:
Does anyone know a way to encrypt a USB drive, without having to have admin rights to read it again?  As far as I can see, TrueCrypt only works if you either have admin privileges, or if TrueCrypt is already installed on the host machine.  In other words, TrueCrypt isn't truly "portable" as you can't guarantee either situation in a college or library, say.  The TrueCrypt docs point out that it has to install a device driver, hence the need for installation rights, and that admins can "see" what you've been typing, including your passwords.  In fact I'm more interested in securing the drive against students and casual users rather than admins gone to the bad.  I doubt I'd outwit those anyway...

By contrast, AxCrypt, from reading their Web site, seems to work file by file, though at least they offer a portable decrypter.  I'd rather encrypt the whole volume in one go.  Is there a reasonably easy way to do this, please?

Thanks...

sajman99:
Perhaps Rohos Mini Drive ? :-\

patthecat:
Take a look at FreeOTFE Explorer.
Here are the differences between the FreeOTFE and FreeOFTE Explorer:
http://www.freeotfe.org/main_explorer_differences.html

Also there is an online manual.

The Explorer version is not a true virtual drive like FreeOTFE so you can't run programs on it but at least allowed you to read and/or edit files.

f0dder:
rjbull: the short answer is "if you want it done securely, then no".

4wd:
If you mean for Flash Drives, some manufacturers offer a utility that will allow you to partition the drive into secure/unsecured areas.  Then when you run the program and enter the password the unsecured area gets demounted and the secured unlocked and mounted.  eg. Imation Flash Drives, Astone' FlashUtility.

These might not require Admin Rights, (at least ImationLOCK didn't cause UAC to pop up on W7), but they aren't exactly encryption either.

Have you checked the manufacturers site?

Otherwise, see f0dder' answer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version