topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: anyone using PowerPro? what for? Share use ideas?  (Read 4623 times)

delwoode

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
anyone using PowerPro? what for? Share use ideas?
« on: March 16, 2010, 02:13 PM »
I have heard it mentioned on a few forums and also heard people comment its great but... not easy to fathom etc.
I think its such a pity it doesnt have its own forum/website. There is a yahoo groups but I hate that format!
Anyway I was wondering what people are using it for and are you willing to describe something you go with it?

One thing i use it for is to change the screen resolution, yep I do this before doing a video capture to save cpu.memory. anyway I just use powerpro in combo with qres, so just need the command qres.exe c/:16

I also use it for pasting text snipits.

what you do use it for?

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: anyone using PowerPro? what for? Share use ideas?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 03:57 PM »
I used to run it constantly on XP at work, for all sorts of things.  I'm not using it at present because I'm now on Vista Home Premium at home, and PowerPro has to be run as admin (I think), which is a constant pain with UAC.

The sort of things I used it for, as far as I can remember:
  • Macro scripts, for doing things like pressing buttons, sending text and arrows to controls, etc.  This was a great convenience and timesaver.  PowerPro allowed you to make these window-specific, i.e., the buttons for launching the scripts only appeared on certain windows and not others.
  • Text snippets, e.g. for pasting titles of things into Outlook e-mails.  Similarly, one of them would put a button onto TED Notepad's title bar but only when it was editing a particular file.  When pressed, it would give a menu of standard texts to paste.
  • The scheduler; I never bothered with the Windows Scheduler when I had this.  Easy to set up and use, much easier than 'cron' syntax.  Can be used to pop up alarms and messages as well as to run programs.  I used it to run various cleanup routines, for example.
  • Window-specific sticky notes, i.e., notes that would pop up, stuck to the right-hand side of the window, when I was editing a particular file.
I didn't use all PowerPro's features, by any means.  Some, like the sticky notes (normal uses), were just too clumsy.  Other features, like the timers and multiple desktops, I never had a use for.

joby_toss

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 09:20 PM »
I am absolutely in love with PowerPro!  :-*

I used it on WinXPProx86 without any problems and I'm now using it on Win7x64 (only things I'm having trouble with are PPro context menu and getsystemperformancedata plugin - crashes once in a wile). It should be run as admin tho, but I don't use UAC so no problem there. The context menu problem (note that there is a 64bit version in the installation kit) I have solved it by moving all my shortcuts w/o parameters and batch files in win7's SendTo menu.

What I'm using it for:
- sidebar with buttons that show system info (time, date, weekday, cpu usage, hdd partitions usage, battery info, free ram, uptime etc.) and execute some actions (on right/middle/left mouse clicks);
- snippets;
- clipboard monitoring;
- windows management (resize to specific values; send to left, right, top, bottom half sides of the screen etc.);
- notes and sticky notes;
- scheduler;
- quick menu pop-up for most common used programs organized in submenus;
- view calendar and calculate dates;
- auto web searches (google, imdb, subtitles, dictionary etc.) based on current clipboard content;
- arb script (not so easy to setup, but very useful) - like a simpler FARR;
- favorites folders browsing (with optional files filtering);
- control panel tools faster access;
- 2 virtual desktops;
- hotkeys - many, many, many hotkeys :) ;
- few simple macros;
- tray support;
- probably something else too, but can't remember right now...

My main bar looks like this:

Cheers!
I am a 3D body trapping a single dimension soul.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 11:48 AM »
I forgot to add, dialog box extender, like FileBox Extender etc.  Gives you a menu of folders you've visited, plus favourites folders, etc.