Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site August 20, 2014, 03:48:37 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the Practical Guide to DonationCoder.com Forum Search Features

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Multiplatform...  (Read 1889 times)
jeremejazz
Supporting Member

hey!

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: February 18, 2010, 04:56:14 AM »

hi, I am programming in JAVA in windows, I haven't tried it on other OS. Will the object files (.class, .jar) produced in windows run on Linux and other operating systems that support Java? I was thinking that you would have to compile the source code there again.

smiley I love coding
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 06:46:38 AM »

If you stick to core java (ie., no JNI, and be careful about stuff like launching external processes), don't depend on OS-specific file locations, et cetera... then your .jar files will execute on other platforms without recompiling.

- carpe noctem
jeremejazz
Supporting Member

hey!

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 05:43:06 AM »

thanks. Im still using java 1 Grin

smiley I love coding
EĆ³in
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 06:04:25 AM »

As you develop you should test your programs on another OS, say Linux in a VM for simplicity. Ideally you would test on all target platforms but even just testing on two separate OS will help you get a good idea what's portable and what's not.

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.027s | Server load: 0.1 ]