Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 22, 2014, 10:34:19 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2010! Download 24 custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Facebook Users Beware.  (Read 2334 times)
Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: February 17, 2010, 04:38:18 PM »

As Facebook scams are seemingly becoming more and more advanced, and offer new ways to fool users into joining their groups/pages in order to receive something cool, the newest one to hit Facebook is: [scam url removed by app103]

This page asks you to invite all your friends, then visit their website (where you are prompted to do things such as surveys and such).

Due to me not knowing the full extent of what they ask for, I refused to go any further into this, but I can guarantee you that these pages are FAKE and quite possibly will gain access to your accounts by means of falsifying information.

Facebook Denies Plans to Charge Users:
http://www.telegraph.co.u...rs-of-charging-plans.html

Facebook really need to get their act together and inform people of these groups, and maybe even start manually activating groups and fan pages, in order to stop these idiots from scamming people.

It's getting beyond the joke now, and for a company who make soo much money, they seem to be against actually doing anything to help their members!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 02:23:52 AM by app103 » Logged

No trees were harmed during the creation of this message.  Millions of electrons, however, were terribly inconvenienced

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!" - Dr. Seuss
Carol Haynes
Waffles for England (patent pending)
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 06:13:42 PM »

and for a company who make soo much money, they seem to be against actually doing anything to help their members

And for a social networking website have you ever actually tried to make contact with Facebook themselves? There is absolutely no point of contact.

Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 10:09:28 PM »

There is absolutely no point of contact.

There is, but only if you dig A LOT, and actually phone their offices tongue - kinda hard to get through to anybody, but the receptionist I last spoke to did put me through to one of the tech guys who solved my issue on the spot.

Not simple for anybody unknowing or unwilling to take the time to background check them in order to get contact numbers, but still, its possible all the same.

In essence, Facebook require a much more efficient means of communication, even if it was as simple as ticket-support or "support@facebook.com" lol

Guess, for most of Facebook, if you wanna contact them about ANYTHING, try this.........wallbash

No trees were harmed during the creation of this message.  Millions of electrons, however, were terribly inconvenienced

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!" - Dr. Seuss
CleverCat
Supporting Member

Cat's Are Fun!

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 01:22:29 AM »

My motto on FB is - DON'T JOIN ANY GROUPS!

If you need help - JUST ASK!
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 02:07:34 AM »

I was slow to join (only a couple of months ago) & will be quick to leave - I find the whole setup a bit of a users nightmare

[edit] not to mention their email a while back re improvement in security, which, when I checked the details, involved making all my content public huh
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 02:09:16 AM by tomos » Logged

Tom
Deozaan
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 02:12:05 AM »

Why are you linking to a known scam? That URL needs to be removed!

app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 03:08:01 AM »

When scannie ran into a similar situation with a facebook group and couldn't figure out the proper way to report it, I logged into Quora, a website where an abundant number of facebook employees hang out answering all kinds of questions (for fun) and asked how to report it.

The reply was to email privacy@facebook.com

Unless and until someone else that works for facebook tells me otherwise, I will assume that is the correct answer to what you should do when you come across a rogue group engaging in illegal or questionable activities that doesn't fit the choices given when you click the "report group" link at the bottom left of the group's page.

Perry Mowbray
N.A.N.Y. Organizer
Charter Member

Thoughtful Scribbles

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 03:58:08 AM »

My motto on FB is - DON'T JOIN ANY GROUPS!

Quite apart from groups are just about meaningless... there are too many and they've become like badges (cheap badges).

CleverCat
Supporting Member

Cat's Are Fun!

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 12:37:31 AM »

I blocked groups also as I was tired of being sent Pink Cows from Farmille and being asked to be a 'neighbour'.... Angry

If you need help - JUST ASK!
Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 09:55:39 AM »

I disabled my account altogether (though I am considering re-enabling it). I got sick and tired of people that I haven't seen in 25 years asking me to join political parties and trying to tell me how to vote in the last provincial election. Of course, my reaction was probably a bit extreme and was likely related to the fact that the political party in question represents an outlook that is 180 degrees from mine. I guess I just have to be (even) more cagey about how I set up my profile WRT accepting friends, messages, and other things, should I decide to take the plunge again.

Bottom line: overall, I found Facebook to be intrusive and annoying.

Curmudgeonly in Courtenay

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.043s | Server load: 0.14 ]