topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 3:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Facebook Users Beware.  (Read 5095 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Facebook Users Beware.
« on: February 17, 2010, 04:38 PM »
As Facebook scams are seemingly becoming more and more advanced, and offer new ways to fool users into joining their groups/pages in order to receive something cool, the newest one to hit Facebook is: [scam url removed by app103]

This page asks you to invite all your friends, then visit their website (where you are prompted to do things such as surveys and such).

Due to me not knowing the full extent of what they ask for, I refused to go any further into this, but I can guarantee you that these pages are FAKE and quite possibly will gain access to your accounts by means of falsifying information.

Facebook Denies Plans to Charge Users:
http://www.telegraph...-charging-plans.html

Facebook really need to get their act together and inform people of these groups, and maybe even start manually activating groups and fan pages, in order to stop these idiots from scamming people.

It's getting beyond the joke now, and for a company who make soo much money, they seem to be against actually doing anything to help their members!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 02:23 AM by app103 »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Facebook Users Beware.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 06:13 PM »
and for a company who make soo much money, they seem to be against actually doing anything to help their members

And for a social networking website have you ever actually tried to make contact with Facebook themselves? There is absolutely no point of contact.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 10:09 PM »
There is absolutely no point of contact.

There is, but only if you dig A LOT, and actually phone their offices :P - kinda hard to get through to anybody, but the receptionist I last spoke to did put me through to one of the tech guys who solved my issue on the spot.

Not simple for anybody unknowing or unwilling to take the time to background check them in order to get contact numbers, but still, its possible all the same.

In essence, Facebook require a much more efficient means of communication, even if it was as simple as ticket-support or "[email protected]" lol

Guess, for most of Facebook, if you wanna contact them about ANYTHING, try this.........:wallbash:

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 01:22 AM »
My motto on FB is - DON'T JOIN ANY GROUPS!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 02:07 AM »
I was slow to join (only a couple of months ago) & will be quick to leave - I find the whole setup a bit of a users nightmare

[edit] not to mention their email a while back re improvement in security, which, when I checked the details, involved making all my content public :huh:
Tom
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 02:09 AM by tomos »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 02:12 AM »
Why are you linking to a known scam? That URL needs to be removed!

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 03:08 AM »
When scannie ran into a similar situation with a facebook group and couldn't figure out the proper way to report it, I logged into Quora, a website where an abundant number of facebook employees hang out answering all kinds of questions (for fun) and asked how to report it.

The reply was to email [email protected]

Unless and until someone else that works for facebook tells me otherwise, I will assume that is the correct answer to what you should do when you come across a rogue group engaging in illegal or questionable activities that doesn't fit the choices given when you click the "report group" link at the bottom left of the group's page.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 03:58 AM »
My motto on FB is - DON'T JOIN ANY GROUPS!

Quite apart from groups are just about meaningless... there are too many and they've become like badges (cheap badges).

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 12:37 AM »
I blocked groups also as I was tired of being sent Pink Cows from Farmille and being asked to be a 'neighbour'.... >:(

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 09:55 AM »
I disabled my account altogether (though I am considering re-enabling it). I got sick and tired of people that I haven't seen in 25 years asking me to join political parties and trying to tell me how to vote in the last provincial election. Of course, my reaction was probably a bit extreme and was likely related to the fact that the political party in question represents an outlook that is 180 degrees from mine. I guess I just have to be (even) more cagey about how I set up my profile WRT accepting friends, messages, and other things, should I decide to take the plunge again.

Bottom line: overall, I found Facebook to be intrusive and annoying.

Curmudgeonly in Courtenay