ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

simple software to facilitate reading screen full of text ...

<< < (3/4) > >>

tsaint:
Rjbull, that looks good thanks - I'll give it a try.

criss:
I can recommend this one:

http://droid7c2.wordpress.com/readingruler/

ppass:
The problem of all these software is that the ruler follows the mouse. Much more useful would be that the ruler automatically detects the next line to read and jumps there when the user hits a key. This should be fairly easy to program by looking at the few pixels below the current line. Now that would be very useful.

A challenge would be to stay on the same line even when scrolling down the current page (or hitting page down). By the way, this is the thing that I find most challenging: after hitting page-down, find where was the last line I was reading before pressing the page down. A software automating this would be a great productivity tool.

I am sure that there are many excellent programmers here that would be willing to take up the challenge...

rjbull:
I think V - The File Viewer can do this, to a point, but think it could be improved.  I just e-mailed the author to ask.

ppass:
Do you refer to this?

In this case, you open a file (text file for example) with a special software which has line highlighting capabilities. I think that this thread is more about a desktop productivity tool that draws a bar above any window (a web browser, a mail client, whatever). What I am saying is that by analyzing pixels in the vicinity of the bar, it should be fairly easy to auto-detect lines. Of course, the bar should be above a window with text in it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version