ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

What happened to the "Improve icon" on the ToDo list?

<< < (2/4) > >>

mouser:
yes, it's definitely going to need some beta testing.

jdmarch:
I'm not opposed to a name change but I think it's handy to have the name suggest function. I'm not crazy about the Ruunba name (but maybe just because I've never heard of Roomba) but if you come up with a "catchy" name that people like, how about combining it, like "Ruunba - Find and Run Robot" - also that way you keep continuity with the great reviews so far.

jgpaiva:
I agree with jdmarch.
Although Ruunba makes sense (i've checked the Roomba, and it seems a nice thing to keep around :D), it is too similar to creative's "rhomba", and farr has nothing to do with an mp3 player ;)

What i mean is that it needs a better name (or maybe a better achronym, since it has that problem with being farr,f&rr,fr, etc,etc..), but i just think it should be something catchy, and not similar to something existant, as it could generate confusion...
I know this isn't a very constructive critic, but i couldn't find a better name. Maybe thinking of a better achronym would be the way to go.

ps: jdmarch made a good point. There already are some good critics on farr, it wouldn't be good to lose them by changing the name too much.

Amadawn:
I've thought of two other names that to me make sense. These make reference to "QuickSilver", which is the most famous (and probably the best) application launcher on Mac OSX. QuickSilver is is the application launcher by which all other application launchers are measured. I've seen countless forum posts on the net of people asking for a "QuickSilver for windows" or "QuickSilver alternative for windows". I believe that FRR is that alternative :-*. So here we go!

- Mercury: Why? Because Mercury is also called QuickSilver :) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicksilver).

- GoldFast: Again, a reference to QuickSilver  ;).

Note that all these could be appended with "Find and Run Robot" as jdmarch suggested, which I think is a great idea. Thus it could be called "Mercury Find and Run Robot" for instance.

Also, instead of Ruunba, what about "Rumba" (like the Latin dance?). FRR makes my computer dance  ;)

Cheers!

Amadawn

P.S.- Out of these, I think the one I like most is Mercury.
P.S.2.- Mouser, I hope you do not find pretentious or annoying me telling you which name you should use to rename FRR. You must have the last word on this!!!  :-[

mouser:
i love naming suggestions - i have come up with some good ones and some terrible ones and so i welcome the help!
one thing that's important is that the name be fairly unique so that its easy to locate information on it.  the single word name "mercury" sounds great but will surely fail this test and i'll bet you dollars to donuts you'll be able to find 10 apps already existing with this exact name :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version