topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:05 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: What happened to the "Improve icon" on the ToDo list?  (Read 13013 times)

Amadawn

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What happened to the "Improve icon" on the ToDo list?
« on: January 23, 2006, 09:09 PM »
I just found an old (from June 2005) ToDo list for F&R. There, at the very bottom of the list, there is "Improve icon". What happened to that? Or is the current icon the "Improved icon"? No offense but if that is the case I shiver to think how must have been the original icon!  ;)

I hope you'll have a cool full-color icon when you release v2 of F&R R!!! BTW, is there any planned release date (not precise, I mean month or week)?

Oh! And the name of the program tells you exactly what it does but it is not exactly the coolest name either ;) Fortunatelly the functionality is so awesome that it really compensates for that as well!

Cheers,

Amadawn

P.S.- This message is really meant to be read "tongue-in-cheek"! ;D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: What happened to the "Improve icon" on the ToDo list?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 09:15 PM »
What happened to that? Or is the current icon the "Improved icon"? No offense but if that is the case I shiver to think how must have been the original icon!

lol  ;D

a new icon would be great but my art skills suck.  i'd love to get some user submitted icons to use for version 2.

yeah the name kind of sucks.. i'm open to changing names as well for version 2.

let me give a hard deadline for version 2; i'm hoping it will be before this, but here is absolute latest version 2 will be out by:

i'll move heaven and earth to get version two out by March 14th, the one year anniversary of this site.
That's about 7 weeks from today.

Amadawn

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 10:15 PM »
You surprised me! A lot of people get very attached to the names that they give to their programs. It is awesome that you can recognize that it is not so catchy :Thmbsup:

OK, so I see that you are fond of robots, so, for the new name, what about "Ruunba"?

This is why:
- It immediately indicates that the program is meant to "Ruun" programs while making reference to a very famous cleaning "robot" (the Roomba).
- It is not too close to the name it refers to yet I think that it is easy to recognize the reference.
- As a plus, while the "Roomba" is meant to clean your house for you (without you having to do any work at all), one could argue that the purpose of FRR is to "organize" your programs for you (which should keep your desktop clean as you do not need to have tons of program shortcuts anymore...).

What do you think? I hope other people make their own suggestions!

Cheers,

Amadawn

P.S.- By the way, I own a Roomba, and it is the best thing since sliced bread!
P.S.2.- I wish that I was an artist too, but I am not! If you finally decide to change the name, you should first wait until you decide which new name you are going to use and then perhaps you could hold a little competition for the icon. The guy who develops PSPad did it and the response was awesome!

nontroppo

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 08:22 AM »
Ruunba is really cool, I like!
FARR Wishes: Performance TweaksTask ControlAdaptive History
[url=http://opera.com/]

Amadawn

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 04:45 PM »
let me give a hard deadline for version 2; i'm hoping it will be before this, but here is absolute latest version 2 will be out by:

Are you gonna have a beta period first? I'd be interested in giving it a try! :-)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 06:08 PM »
yes, it's definitely going to need some beta testing.

jdmarch

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 02:24 PM »
I'm not opposed to a name change but I think it's handy to have the name suggest function. I'm not crazy about the Ruunba name (but maybe just because I've never heard of Roomba) but if you come up with a "catchy" name that people like, how about combining it, like "Ruunba - Find and Run Robot" - also that way you keep continuity with the great reviews so far.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 02:41 PM »
I agree with jdmarch.
Although Ruunba makes sense (i've checked the Roomba, and it seems a nice thing to keep around :D), it is too similar to creative's "rhomba", and farr has nothing to do with an mp3 player ;)

What i mean is that it needs a better name (or maybe a better achronym, since it has that problem with being farr,f&rr,fr, etc,etc..), but i just think it should be something catchy, and not similar to something existant, as it could generate confusion...
I know this isn't a very constructive critic, but i couldn't find a better name. Maybe thinking of a better achronym would be the way to go.

ps: jdmarch made a good point. There already are some good critics on farr, it wouldn't be good to lose them by changing the name too much.

Amadawn

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 03:09 PM »
I've thought of two other names that to me make sense. These make reference to "QuickSilver", which is the most famous (and probably the best) application launcher on Mac OSX. QuickSilver is is the application launcher by which all other application launchers are measured. I've seen countless forum posts on the net of people asking for a "QuickSilver for windows" or "QuickSilver alternative for windows". I believe that FRR is that alternative :-*. So here we go!

- Mercury: Why? Because Mercury is also called QuickSilver :) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicksilver).

- GoldFast: Again, a reference to QuickSilver  ;).

Note that all these could be appended with "Find and Run Robot" as jdmarch suggested, which I think is a great idea. Thus it could be called "Mercury Find and Run Robot" for instance.

Also, instead of Ruunba, what about "Rumba" (like the Latin dance?). FRR makes my computer dance  ;)

Cheers!

Amadawn

P.S.- Out of these, I think the one I like most is Mercury.
P.S.2.- Mouser, I hope you do not find pretentious or annoying me telling you which name you should use to rename FRR. You must have the last word on this!!!  :-[

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 04:42 PM »
i love naming suggestions - i have come up with some good ones and some terrible ones and so i welcome the help!
one thing that's important is that the name be fairly unique so that its easy to locate information on it.  the single word name "mercury" sounds great but will surely fail this test and i'll bet you dollars to donuts you'll be able to find 10 apps already existing with this exact name :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 04:43 PM »
but something like "mercury runner" could be feasible..

Amadawn

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 05:17 PM »
but something like "mercury runner" could be feasible..

I like that. Something like "mercury runner" or "mercury launcher" would be pretty specific.

jdmarch

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 06:32 PM »
---
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 06:38 PM by jdmarch »

jdmarch

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 06:37 PM »
I like Mecury Runner, though it mostly loses name continuity with FARR. Or Mercury Robot. Or Mercury Runner Robot, or Mercury Robot Runner. Or Mercury Robot Launcher, although that sounds like some kind of NASA facility!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2006, 06:53 PM »
Mercury Robot Launcher, although that sounds like some kind of NASA facility!

hehehehe.

Amadawn

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2006, 08:02 PM »
Or Mercury Robot Launcher, although that sounds like some kind of NASA facility!

For some reason it made me thing of Terminator 2! :)