ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The best Media manager?

(1/2) > >>

kartal:
Hi

I am looking for a media manager application that would let me watch, listen catalog etc. I am not looking for a media catalog, dvd librry kind of thing. WHat I am looking for is an app that can play all kinds of media formats, organize stuff based on folders, format, etc. It would be nice to have conversion skills. It should be  multi platform as well.

In the past I have tried Jriver, which was nice but it does not support Linux.

On the other hand I tried some of the media box kind of stuff, while they look nice I did not like certain functions like auto album cover downloading. It is mind boggling to me to see that such features are hard coded. I looked into disabling some of those features in their forums without much luck. They download album, dvd covers automatically. Why on earth this is an ubiquitous feature that should be hard coded is beyond me really.

Anyways I would appreciate some solid suggestions.

CWuestefeld:
Take a look at XBMC (XBox Media Center, http://xbmc.org/ ). Despite the name, it runs also on Windows, Linux, etc.

It supports the whole gamut of formats, has library support, and so on.

I'm currently running this in my family room on an old XBox, and in my bedroom on an EeePC netbook with Ubuntu.

kartal:
Hi

thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately this is one of those that I have tried which downloads album dvd covers automatically which is a behaviour I hate. I could not find a way to disable that nasty behaviour. Also it had problems playing some quicktime movies on Ubuntu.

sgtevmckay:
I will be watching this thread as well, as I am interested to see what the DC members use and suggest  :Thmbsup:

JavaJones:
Hmm, tall order. Organize *and* play a large variety of media formats, but *don't* be a "media center" type app, *and* must be cross platform? I'd say something like KMPlayer, but it's Windows-only. Honestly I'm not terribly familiar with Linux options aside from the various "media center" apps.

It really seems like there should be a way to disable the functions you don't want on those apps - many are open source, and should be tweakable (maybe simply removing the "download album cover art" plugin?).

The only other app that comes to mind is VLC, which has *basic* support for many of these things, but probably not as mature as you'd like.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version