topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 6:18 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Search by history (preferently)  (Read 4458 times)

eltioseba

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Search by history (preferently)
« on: February 16, 2010, 10:16 AM »
Hi, I can`t get my little robot work the way I know he could  :)

It`s possible to give the previously launched programs (links, etc) a dramatic influence in the search list?

I common example is that I often use a desktop shortcut named "ping.bat". But I have to type the entire word to put it in the top of the list. And it would be great to have it first just typing a "p".
I try increasing the "History File Bonus" to 100000 with no results.

thanks in advance

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Search by history (preferently)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 10:28 AM »
ok, couple of options here.

First, it sounds like you figured out the right way to do it in general, but it may require both of these values to be changed; i should probably make this a little simpler so that if the Auto Ceiling is lower than History File Bonus, it is additive:
Screenshot - 2_16_2010 , 10_23_39 AM.png

So first thing to do would be change both of these values to be really high, and then also go into the Launch History and either delete it or manually edit score for it in order to get it into the proper range.

the other solution is to add an explicit alias for your bat file with the name of p.  You can do this by simply searching for it, then right clicking on result and choosing to add a new alias group, and name your new alias p.

let me know if it works for you.

eltioseba

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 11:06 AM »
great, thanks.

Just to understand the robot.... Why do I have to delete the entry to get it working?
Now I can see the new scoring in 10001 and works exactly the way I want.
Why it doesn`t work right after changing the values? (without deleting the previous history scoring)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 12:43 PM »
Just to understand the robot.... Why do I have to delete the entry to get it working?

i can explain.. the farr robot is very good at his job, but sometimes he is very reluctant to ever use his judgment over a human's judgment, even when he is very confident the human might be wrong.

in this case, he uses the history score value to set the initial score for the launched item *at the time when he FIRST adds a new launched history item*.

after the first time it is added, he assumes you may want to modify that score yourself manually, and so he will not try to "fix" it if he sees it at an unusual value.

so when you changed the scoring value to 10,000 -- he assumed you were telling him that all NEWLY added items should have the higher score, but he was afraid to increase the values for the existing items, just in case you wanted them to stay where they were.

---

ps. the auto ceiling is used because each time you launch something that has already been launched, it's score will grow just a tiny bit, and that value controls how high it will grow.

eltioseba

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 01:04 PM »
ok, I think I get it (plus some forum read).
Each time the robot launch something he adds 1 point. I only configure the initial scoring when entering history the first time.

Now I prevent 435 useless keystrokes a day. Thanks to my robot`s memory I can have 1 more beer every night.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 01:24 PM »