ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Low-cost laptop in February 2010. Comments anyone?

<< < (2/2)

Innuendo:
Just gave an Acer laptop as an Xmas present this past December. It was a 2.2 GHz Celeron, 15.6" screen, 160 GB HD, and 2 GB RAM that was bought for a low US$279 at an Xmas sale @ Best Buy.

It was well-built & performed very well. When I was working with it to get everything set up for its intended owner it exceeded every expectation I had of it.

tomos:

Acer have a *very* poor reputation (here at any rate) in terms of fixing machines when under warranty but if the local store deals with that it sounds like that probably wont be a problem for you.

steeladept:
Personally, I have always liked Acer for the price.  Not great machines, but certainly good enough for general work.  I agree with Mouser about checking Newegg for reviews, but instead of Amazon, I always liked checking Tiger Direct.  Newegg and Tiger Direct seem to have more of a tech following which, to me, means more good information than "I didn't like it" or "This sucks, don't buy it!".  Still, the more places to look, the more it will show it's warts.  I think you are on to something with that deal.

kyrathaba:
I've bought several computers (both laptop and desktop) from TigerDirect over the years, and have always been pleased with them.  Most recent one I bought is a Dell Inspiron 1545.  No complaints whatsoever.  I've never tried an Acer laptop, but my very first desktop was an Acer Aspire, so I've got a soft spot where Acer is concerned ;)

cranioscopical:
Thanks for all the replies, everyone's input has been useful to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version