ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Nearly caught by spam.. [or 'Saved by Thunderbird']

<< < (4/4)

jaden:
Oh yeah, here's my all time favorite ... Shell Oil decided to enforce a protection scheme on their gas cards. It consists of requiring one to enter their zip code when using the card. Apparently nobody at Shell knew that Address & Zip Code are a standard part of the information contained on every driver's license ever made. (Add what two cards are guaranteed to be in anybodies wallet) ... Doh!!
--- End quote ---

I don't remember when this started, but every time I fill up with my credit card I have to type in my zip code.  It's such a flimsy means of verifying someone's identification it probably stops more honest people from getting gas than crooks with a stolen card.

Like airport security, it inconveniences the consumer and is easily subverted by crooks.  I've heard the whole reason for these changes are to appease the public rather than reduce crime.  Corporations want to make sure people feel more secure, even if they're progressively less so as time goes by.

Stoic Joker:
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! BINGO ...Give That Man A Prize!!!

:D

J-Mac:
"Security Theater", as security guru Bruce Schneier calls it. Doesn’t do a thing to actually authenticate the purchase but it is supposed to look like it does. Bunch of crap!

Worse yet are all the financial institutions I use now requiring me to add so-called "security questions" to my login, supposedly to enhance my online security. All that does is reduce my security online. Idiots - and then some.

Jim

jaden:
Worse yet are all the financial institutions I use now requiring me to add so-called "security questions" to my login, supposedly to enhance my online security. All that does is reduce my security online. Idiots - and then some.

--- End quote ---

Those are truly awful.  With the amount of personal information available online, those so-called security questions should be renamed account entry questions.  A 15 character password with uppercase, lowercase, digits and special characters?  Who cares, you wrote your dog's name and where you went to high school on your public Facebook profile and someone's already transferring money out of your account.

That's why I provide nonsensical answers to those questions and store them in KeePass.

What is your best friend's name? Flesh wound
What is your dog's name? Anybody want a peanut?

J-Mac:
Yeah, I do the same but I'm not so consistent as to where I store them. Next time I need them I'm searching all over the place. Just a big pain in my arse!!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version