ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Dockable auto-hiding drag & drop multi-monitor desktop wallpaper app

(1/4) > >>

FrankEBailey`:
There are lots of desktop wallpaper managers out there, but not one has what I would've considered the most intuitive way of changing wallpaper, which is to drag and drop a picture from a folder or one's browser onto a app, and that picture immediately being assigned to the desktop as wallpaper.

Having recently joined the multiple monitor fraternity, I got to thinking that it would be extremely handy to have a little app that can either dock to the side of the screen or maybe come up with a hotkey, that has a little screen per monitor where I can drop a picture and have that picture assigned to the monitor that little screen represents.

The reason I'd class this as a coding snack rather than something more complex is that the app wouldn't have to maintain a list of desktop picture folders, be able to change wallpapers randomly or anything like that - just the ability to assign a dropped picture to the relevant monitor.

Hope that makes sense!  ;D

A nice-to-have would be to be able to set up whether to tile, stretch to fill or stretch proportionally the picture per monitor.

Thanks, and I want to add I think you guys are awesome!  :Thmbsup:

skwire:
This is trivial to write with the exception of being able to specify a per-monitor-specific wallpaper.  How adamant are you on that feature request?

FrankEBailey`:
Oh, EXTREMELY adamant ;)

Seriously though, it would make the app a lot more useful to me personally. I figured that reading the monitor information from the OS might not be so easy, so it's not a dealbreaker, but if all the solutions on here were trivial then I'm sure this site wouldn't be half as much fun as it is.

Thanks for your quick response Skwire! ;D

skwire:
Seriously though, it would make the app a lot more useful to me personally. I figured that reading the monitor information from the OS might not be so easy, so it's not a dealbreaker, but if all the solutions on here were trivial then I'm sure this site wouldn't be half as much fun as it is.-FrankEBailey` (February 14, 2010, 09:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, reading the monitor information is the easy part.  The problem stems from the fact that there is no built-in API to handle per-monitor wallpapers.  That part has to be handled manually via GDI+ or some other image manipulation library.  In other words, the images you want to use have be stitched/cut/cropped into one image that is actually stretched across your two monitors.  That's the not-so-easy part.  =]  Make sense?

skwire:
BTW, have you checked out DisplayFusion?  http://www.binaryfortress.com/displayfusion/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version