topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Capture Area  (Read 10171 times)

j2ink

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Capture Area
« on: February 13, 2010, 06:12 PM »
I am a new user, and perhaps this has been addressed before, but I couldn't find it with the board search function.

I'm using a 1920x1200 resolution on my screen, and I cannot figure out how to capture the entire screen area, except by adjusting the capture area manually with the RedBox function.  Before installing the program, my Print Screen button would capture the full screen, but with the program installed it cuts off quite a bit of the screen, both on the right side and bottom.

I've tried to change the default capture area in the Hot Key menu, but it doesn't seem to do anything.  Is there any way to change the capture area so that by pushing the Print Screen button it will automatically capture the entire screen?   

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Capture Area
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 07:31 PM »
The normal PrtScr button should capture the entire screen.  you could try ctrl+prtscr too, which is designed to capture all monitors of a multi-monitor system.

If you are seeing the redbox, then you are triggering REGION or OBJECT capture, which is not for full screen.

You want to use just plain PrtScr key which should immediately capture the entire screen.

Your hotkeys config should look like this:
Screenshot - 2_13_2010 , 7_29_08 PM.png

If you still can't get it to work, can you attach an example of what it captures when you hit PrtScr?

j2ink

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 01:49 PM »
Perhaps I wasn't clear.  I intentionally activated the redbox mode, because the print screen button was not capturing the entire screen.  When I used the program for the first time, I did not change any of the default settings.  It was only after numerous tries that I began changing the settings, and I could only capture the entire screen by using redbox. 

I changed the hot key settings back to what you recommended, but it didn't fix my problem.  Attached are my screen prints.  The first is what is captured with the print screen button without the program running.  The second image is what is captured with the program running.  As you can see, the program is picking up only about two thirds of the entire screen, which is 1920x1200.

j2ink

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 12:44 AM »
I've used the program a couple of more times, and it will just not capture my entire screen.  Does the program know automatically to capture the entire screen, or does the screen resolution need to be specified somewhere?  If the program is supposed to detect the resolution automatically, there obviously is something wrong with the way it is running on my computer.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 01:03 AM »
you shouldn't have to do anything but trigger the screen capture -- honestly i have never heard of this happening before.. it's beyond strange.
If you trigger a capture of the "Wordkspace" (Ctrl+PrtScr by default), what happens then?

riponred

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 03:11 PM »
you shouldn't have to do anything but trigger the screen capture -- honestly i have never heard of this happening before.. it's beyond strange.
If you trigger a capture of the "Wordkspace" (Ctrl+PrtScr by default), what happens then?

riponred

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 03:15 PM »
I'm having the same problem that j2ink is having.  I'm running Windows 7 64-bit IE8.  Have you found a solution?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 04:09 PM »
oh wow, a second report.. i guess this is not just a fluke.

riponred does workspace capture have same effect?

can you give me any clues about why you think it might have the size wrong?

what are the dimensions of the too-small screenshot?

j2ink

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 04:48 PM »
No matter what I do, I cannot get the program to capture the entire screen.  Even when I use the redbox mode, it will only capture about two-thirds of whatever I have in the box.  I have continued to use the program, because I generally do not need to capture the entire screen.  I manipulate the size and position of the screen so the program will capture the area I want, and then I crop it to get what I want before I save it.  This takes a little time, but it gets the job done when you don't need to capture the entire screen.

It just seems to me that the program will only capture a limited resolution.  I have a 24 inch screen with a 1920 x 1200 resolution.  I do have the screen view enlarged somewhat in my browser, because the native resolution makes everything so small, I can barely read it.  Perhaps that is causing the problem, but without the program running, the Print Screen key does capture the entire area of the screen.

FYI, I'm running Vista, 32 bit, and my browser is Firefox.  My computer is fairly new, and I've got 4 gigs of RAM.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 04:53 PM »
i assure you its not because the program can only capture a limited resolution -- i have a 1920z1200 monitor, and sc is quite happy to capture 4 monitors wide workspace which results in a huge file.  the problem is somehow with it not figuring out the proper screen size -- though how this could happen im not sure.

Even when I use the redbox mode, it will only capture about two-thirds of whatever I have in the box.

well this is TRULY bizarre, and a huge clue maybe.

can you do a test for me, use red box to capture a 100x100 sized region, in middle of screen, and tell me what the resulting capture dimension is?

riponred

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 10:48 PM »
Sorry I had to leave.   I just tried again and got the whole thing. I don't know if you did something but it's working now. Thanks.

j2ink

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 01:01 AM »
Perhaps I need to reinstall the program.  The redbox will not capture a small area for me.    I tried the 100x100 and then a much larger area, and it will not work.  The little screen in the task bar turns red, but there is no capture sound, and the capture screen does not appear.  If I expand the redbox to more than half of the screen, the capture occurs, but as stated earlier, it does not capture the entire area in the red box.

argv

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 11:48 PM »
I have just installed the last version on my new Win7 Pro N 32bits system and I have the same problem. Is any option I could check?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 10:56 AM »
you guys only have one monitor?
any clues regarding how much of the red box contents gets captured? does it seem to always be missing  the same # of pixels on large areas?

argv

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 02:15 PM »
Yes only one monitor (laptop 15,4') Resolution 1920x1200. Please find below two screenshots one taken with ScreenCapture and another one with print screen and paste in Paint. In this case I used SC to capture all the screen. Using ScreenCapture is reacting like a kind of zoom, for instance if I want to capture a region, the view of the screen changes and the bottom and right part are no longer visible as long as screen capture selection cursor is active.

http://a.imageshack.us/img12/8807/s004.png
Capture Area

http://a.imageshack.us/img267/4103/62991645.png
Capture Area

owenm

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 03:44 AM »
Has this thread been picked up elsewhere, or is there no progress on this issue since it was reported?

Using ScreenCapture is reacting like a kind of zoom, for instance if I want to capture a region, the view of the screen changes and the bottom and right part are no longer visible...

I'm seeing the same thing as argv.  I've got two displays, the laptop screen and an external monitor, with the desktop extended across both.  Both monitors are on their native resolution of 1920x1200.  Pressing SHIFT + PrntScr to capture a region immediately results in a "zoom" of both displays, as if a capture cannot take place at the initial resolution.  Selecting a region when "zoomed" like this will result in the captured region being the result of that screen region being grabbed from the non-zoomed display.  It difficult to explain it clearly - the image on display in the capture rectangle when "zoomed" is not the image that will be captured.  Instead it's as if the location of the capture rectangle when zoomed will be used on the original non-zoomed display resulting in a different area (than the one the user saw) being captured.

I looks as if the zoom is the issue, rather than the capture.  The zoom gets in the way of the user selecting the correct region, if you see what I mean.

I'm running a fresh install of Win7x64, default Theme.  This bug makes this software unusable for me, which is a pity - I liked the list of product features :-(

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 10:07 PM »
I think i understand and hope to fix in the next couple of days.
If i can't reproduce it in my windows 7 virtual machine i may ask for those suffering to try a beta or two.