ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Antivirus companies support virus writers?

<< < (3/9) > >>

f0dder:
Welcome aboard, Dmytry :)

For the rentacoder remark - heh, i've been browsing rentacoder jobs once, and seen more than a few jobs almost certainly involving development of trojan software (private description, required ability to work with gmail, yahoo, facebook etc accounts, network programming experience, and you have to be located in former eastern Soviet block).-Dmytry (February 18, 2010, 05:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
Nasty - that's pretty much as blatantly obvious as "trojan writers wanted" :/

Stoic Joker:
Thanks for stopping in, Dmytry

I've been harboring much the same ill feelings toward AV companies for years. I'm an advocate for common sense, it's twice as effective, uses (wastes) no system resources, and is free.

f0dder:
I've been harboring much the same ill feelings toward AV companies for years. I'm an advocate for common sense, it's twice as effective, uses (wastes) no system resources, and is free.-Stoic Joker (February 18, 2010, 07:04 AM)
--- End quote ---
And unfortunately doesn't protect you against drive-by exploits on hacked legitimate sites :/ - the only thing I've been hit by the last 10+ years. (I still don't run any AV software, though :)).

Bamse:
Which reminds me that same company I mentioned getting cheated by the one from China recently unblocked a hacker site which also host a bit of hiring :) On a scriptkiddie level but still. "I need help hacking this guys Facebook..." and so on. They have 150000 members and hacker admin made sure they became aware of this ;) He would flame their product unless... Claims to be "hacker" in the good way - which is obviously bogus. He simply complained at their forum and CEO promptly removed the block. Took 20 min. The guy who manage the actual blocking disagreed but were overruled. I chose to think marketing on steroids since this was done in public (though nobody take notice!). Marketing and money can do much harm to some people. Also why I would not exclude the possibility of some eager employee at Mcafee, Symantec or where ever doing some action on the side. He/She hire a bunch of fools to produce new threat and person magically find cure and get promotion. Something like that. There is a thin line between black and white when it comes to security. Employees at security companies have the option and know-how of going black.

Forgot, the hacker vs. highly recommended security company incident gets worse. Every member of that hacker forum got a 50% discount all through February. As a "lets be friends, we made a mistake" present. Unbelievable or in their words "Pwnd :D "

Dormouse:
I see no sign that any reputable or major company does anything more than talk up the dangers of new threats or get OEMs to install tiresome free trials. Setting up an automatic subscription to any company is a bit risky in that companies in all industries have continued charging for periods after the contract has been ended. Over the last decade, I've used F-Secure, Kaspersky and now Online Armor (and AVG and Avast on machines where free seems sufficient); they've never pushed me to extend licenses beyond warning that the subscription was coming to an end (and the free ones occasionally listing the advantages of a paid for version). It's a pretty competitive market place and they'd find it hard to recover from being found out doing anything to sponsor malware.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version