ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Return of the Son of the best *free* Windows Text Editor

<< < (18/19) > >>

mwb1100:
Like, I don't get what's so great about using Ctrl-<letter> instead of the arrow keys to navigate through a document
-superboyac (November 18, 2010, 09:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

The idea is that you don't have to move a hand away from the main keyboard to navigate (similar to the argument vi users make).

f0dder:
Like, I don't get what's so great about using Ctrl-<letter> instead of the arrow keys to navigate through a document
--- End quote ---
The idea is that you don't have to move a hand away from the main keyboard to navigate (similar to the argument vi users make).
-mwb1100 (November 18, 2010, 10:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
And on some laptop keyboards, this becomes extremely important - perhaps not so much for arrow keys, but often pgup/pgdown and home/end are located at fscked up places, or require pressing a function-modifier key. I can definitely see why WordStar keybindings has appeal - and they're logically placed.

tomos:
--- End quote ---
-mwb1100 (November 18, 2010, 10:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
And on some laptop keyboards, this becomes extremely important - perhaps not so much for arrow keys, but often pgup/pgdown and home/end are located at fscked up places, or require pressing a function-modifier key. I can definitely see why WordStar keybindings has appeal - and they're logically placed.
-f0dder (November 18, 2010, 10:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Add to that, (according to the article linked to by rjbull above), the Control key used to be where the CapsLock key now is - this would probably have made it even quicker if you were fluent with the shortcuts.
Because of this, WordStar comes with a utility called SWITCH.COM to optionally swap the functions of the CapsLock and Control keys.
--- End quote ---

superboyac:
Maybe all of you need one of those programmable keyboards that gamers always like!  Then you can do all sorts of funky things with that based on your preferred hand position, workflow, etc.  I can totally see myself doing that sometime.

Edvard:
I live in Linux-land and I still haven't got used to either Emacs or Vi (Vim, GVim, ad nauseum).
My editor of choice is Nano because it does what it says on the tin with a minimum of BS.
Needing to perform a tutorial before being able to use a program is not my idea of user-friendly.
I'm trying to compose a grocery list, not fly an Airbus...

I'm still looking for a graphical text editor that'll do everything I need.
Geany was ok, at least it let me USE vi without the training wheels, and there's a Windows version too.
Editra is close, but it still doesn't "feel" right...

What I'm REALLY looking for is a Linux equivalent of TextPad.  :-*
We LIVE in TextPad at work, and it's pretty awesome.
If there were a free version, I'd recommend that over any other Windows text editor.
I've heard Kate is very close, but it depends on a healthy portion of KDE (which I loathe...) so that's a no-go.

Thanks for starting this topic, Widge.
I think simple text editing is more important a topic than most folks give credit for, and certainly needs more attention paid to it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version