topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:31 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Feb 9, 2010: Windows Patch Leaves Many XP Users With Blue Screens?  (Read 24815 times)

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feb 9, 2010: Windows Patch Leaves Many XP Users With Blue Screens?
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2010, 01:56 AM »
Tell that to people producing all those hits when you google "atapi.sys tdss"  8) Nasty stuff.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2010, 02:03 AM »
I just had to fix an autorun virus on a friends PC which he picked up from using his flash drive on someone's computer!

What a performance..... KIS stopped it dead on mine!

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2010, 02:39 AM »
A full featured package it is. I would rather not run with AV than Kaspersky but they are good. Their Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool is practically a full AV for on-demand scan. 1 big exe-file, anyone can install/use it. I would guess that one also take care of TDSS crap. They have more free services like GetSystemInfo http://www.getsysteminfo.com/ probably the best way to diagnose computers online. With link to report and all. Again free for all to use, no strings. Soon they will have online scanner ready, most likely with 64bit support, quarantine and what not.

And of course they sensed major problems with this rootkit and decided to make a special click, click removal program. They are not cheap with info or tools.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 02:55 AM by Bamse »

Wuz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2010, 12:04 PM »
This is usual Microsoft. They produce a patch that is supposed to fix problems. What usually happens is one thing is fixed but another problem is created.
Fixing bugs, vulnerabilities and general so called improvements always create other problems. Unfortunately you have to install the mandatory patches
otherwise you could leave your computer vulnerable to cyber criminals who produce all viruses and malicious software.
You have to weigh up the Pros & Con's. Not keeping your PC up to date with windows patches will just leave you vulnerable.
My advice install all the patches and then deal with any issues that occur as and when. In most cases its usually a driver or a piece of software that
causes the issue. Updating these drivers or software usually can resolve the issue. Its true why should we have to go through all this hassle?
I agree Microsoft should get there act together and make a more secure and stable OS. I'm not getting my hopes up, that's why I've switched
to a MAC.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2010, 01:33 PM »
Wuz: it's already been mentioned that a lot of the people who get crashes after installing the patch have already been hit by the malware the patch tries to guard against; you can't really blame MS for this. There's apparently people who get the BSODs without having been hit by the malware, but the reports I've seen on this only checked one file... there's no telling whether they're infected through another file, or if they're running some antivirus software that makes nasty assumptions and break on kernel changes (there's been several examples of this).

I'm not saying that there might not be problems with this patch, but people are way too quick to jump onto the blame-Microsoft bandwagon before doing a proper analysis. In a lot of situations, it's third parties that's to blame (usually badly implemented hardware drivers or security software).

Funny that you feel Apple delivers a more secure and stable OS, considering the problems and vulnerabilities they've had... and that's with a closed ecosystem they're pretty much totally in control of :huh:
- carpe noctem

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2010, 07:20 PM »
Steve Jobs would roll up in a corner with his ipad and cry if these wild Windows users migrated to Mac! They can break any ecosystem :)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2010, 06:09 PM »
And here's an update: ""Microsoft Confirms Update-Linked BSODs Required Compromised Machines". Eat your hearts out, anti-MS people :)
- carpe noctem