ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Feb 9, 2010: Windows Patch Leaves Many XP Users With Blue Screens?

(1/7) > >>

mouser:
Via Slashdot comes this report that people are experiencing blue screen crashes after applying Windows XP updates on tuesday:

"Tuesday's security updates from Microsoft have crippled Windows XP PCs with the notorious Blue Screen of Death (BSOD), users have reported on the company's support forum. Complaints began early yesterday, and gained momentum throughout the day."

--- End quote ---

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9155419/Windows_patch_cripples_XP_with_blue_screen_users_claim

from http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/02/11/2217239/Windows-Patch-Leaves-Many-XP-Users-With-Blue-Screens

cyberdiva:
I'm both puzzled and nervous after reading this article.  Both my husband and I have computers running WinXP Pro with SP2, and we both installed all the patches Microsoft issued this Tuesday.  Neither of us has experienced the problem described in the article, and yes, we both have rebooted more than once since installing them.  It wasn't clear from my hurried reading what percentage of people who installed the patches (esp. the one that has been identified as the probably culprit, KB977165) are encountering this problem.  Does anyone have any additional knowledge about this?   :(

Bamse:
I know some people advice to disable auto-update for reasons like this. Usually I think they are paranoid tossers who should know better and rather promote other OS if not even trusting updates. Then again... Hopefully it is a if and if and if limited problem no one could have foreseen. 

wraith808:
I have mine set to notify--  I apply them the next monday if I don't hear anything :)

Bamse:
Well more like healthy skepticism but you can say SEE???  8) I was more thinking of little people who will follow such advice, and then not care about updates from that day. Not so many care to research. Pros outweighs cons but probably not easy to tell those in problems right now. Lets hope it is not a major worldwide problem and that details will be revealed.

New flash version out today btw. Look out for toolbars and what else they pre-tick for you ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version