topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 5:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Tale of a Would-Be Spy, Buried Treasure, and Uncrackable Code  (Read 5274 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Another nice real life spy story:

When officials searched the aspiring spy, they found a paper tucked under the insole of his right shoe. On it were written the addresses of several Iraqi and Chinese embassies in Europe. In a trouser pocket they discovered a spiral pad in which Regan, who had been trained in cryptanalysis by the Air Force, had written 13 seemingly unconnected words — like tricycle, rocket, and glove. Another 26 words were written on an index card. In his wallet was a paper with a string of several dozen letters and numbers beginning “5-6-N-V-O-A- I …” And in a folder Regan had been carrying, they found four pages filled with three-digit numbers, or trinomes: 952, 832, 041, and so on. The spiral pad, the index card, the wallet note, and the sheets of trinomes: The FBI suddenly had four puzzles to solve.

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Tale of a Would-Be Spy, Buried Treasure, and Uncrackable Code
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 08:31 AM »
First, hooray for wired having a "full page" link, so I do not have to go through hoops to read the whole article.

Second, it was interesting to read. Very exciting with real FBI agents and such. I did not look, but do you know if they released all of Regan's ciphertexts for hobby cryptographers to decode? I might find the time to try to crack it myself ;)

Neal Stephenson also uses various encryption methods in his book "Cryptonomicon" which I can highly recommend.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Tale of a Would-Be Spy, Buried Treasure, and Uncrackable Code
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 12:57 AM »
Another nice real life spy story:

Another? Where is/are the other(s)?

Very interesting read.