ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Networks and external drives

<< < (2/3) > >>

4wd:
There's also cheaper alternatives available, (no BitTorrent client), from DX with free postage:

US$38.05 - UNITEK Network USB 2.0 Server for Sharing USB Printer/USB HDD/Web Camera/USB Speaker
US$38.05 - Network USB 2.0 Server with Hub Support for Printer/USB HDD/Web Camera/USB Speaker

As well as a 4 port version for a bit more:

US$59.80 - 4-Port Network USB 2.0 Server for Printers/USB Devices

NOTE: I don't work for DX nor am I in anyway associated with them..........other than seeming to spend quite a bit of money there :)

SKesselman:
Oh yeah, if you really have been dropping your external storage you might want to consider backing it all up to another HDD.-4wd (February 09, 2010, 08:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

4wd,

Good point! The data on my little WD drive is minimal. Just some pictures, Outlook data & data from programs I haven't installed.
I'm at least getting in the habit now of disconnecting before doing anything where I know the drive won't be needed.
Do you think, since the data has (almost) never been actively used while being suddenly disconnected, that it will be OK?
My Outlook stuff is fine.  :-\

4wd:
Do you think, since the data has (almost) never been actively used while being suddenly disconnected, that it will be OK?
-SKesselman (February 10, 2010, 11:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

As they say, "It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end."  :)

If the drive happened to have been spun up at the time, all the more likely damage could have occurred.  If it was summarily disconnected without being properly "Safely Removed" from the OS then you run the risk of data corruption, less so with NTFS but the chance is still there.
If the laptop was powered down at the time then the only likely source of data corruption would be a mechanical fault, eg. the heads bouncing off of the platters due to being dropped, (if it was powered down then hopefully the heads were parked at the time).

While you say you weren't accessing the data on it at the time there's still the possibility the OS was doing a little background housekeeping.  So to be sure I'd be copying all the data off of it, (this will at least make sure it's all still readable), and do a full format to see if any bad blocks have appeared due to, possibly, head bounce.

Even then, I would still consider the drive suspect and not use it as my only backup source.

SchoolDaGeek:
Also there is another solution that requires a purchase, you could get a 2.5" HDD in an external case (I like MovingStar) that uses 2 USB jacks to provide the power so there is no AC adapter.  Then get some 3M Dual Lock tape (from ACE or Radio Shack) and mount the drive on the back of your laptop.  Viola!  Removable External.....

JavaJones:
I'd be careful with USB powered drives on a laptop as laptops don't always provide the level of power needed. Most of those drives push the limits of the USB power spec, which is why they often have 2 USB jacks (not always). Self-powered drives have more cords, which is "inconvenient", but they're more reliable.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version