topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 24, 2024, 6:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Can I run two separate instances (local + USB)?  (Read 6577 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can I run two separate instances (local + USB)?
« on: February 09, 2010, 12:13 PM »
Can i run two different instances of LBC without a problem?  Like, a local version for the pc I'm using, and a portable version for the portable programs on my thumbdrive?  Right now, I'm running both toolbars from the portable LBC.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Can I run two separate instances (local + USB)?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 12:40 PM »
I don't think LBC will care in the slightest, though i'm not sure if you are wanting to actually run two separate copies of the LaunchBar Commander executable at the same time, which should be fine but one has to wonder why someone would do such a thing when one instance of LBC is designed to be able to open multiple dock files at the same and have them be in different locations on the disk.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 02:20 PM »
Oh!  I was wondering what would happen if I had the portable toolbar running without the usb actually plugged in.  But I can run the portable file along with the local file all from the local lbc installation.  I wasn't thinking about that.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 03:57 PM »
mouser, I haven't tried LBC, so I don't know what I'm talking about (don't tell me that isn't news, I already know...)  I have two USB sticks and another waiting to be set up.  Can LBC be set to automatically pick up configurations for whichever USB stick(s) are plugged in, without showing those that aren't?  If you see what I mean?  That's assuming each stick has been already configured, of course.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 04:14 PM »
so you insert stick and up pops the launchbar from that stick.. remove it and it dissapears?

that's a very cool idea..

same could be done regarding individual items on a bar -- hide when drive is removed, show when inserted..

i'm trying to think what the best way to do it would be.. i probably could register a hook that is informed about drive insertion and removal, and auto detect lbc files in root of drive, and do the reverse when disconnecting them... i like it. adding to todo list.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 04:19 PM »
so you insert stick and up pops the launchbar from that stick.. remove it and it dissapears?

I hadn't thought that far ahead, as I usually plug in my USB sticks at home and leave them in place until I shut down, so I was thinking of LBC picking up only the  configuration files that were present when LBC itself was first started.  But, your extension sounds great and would be far better  :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 05:13 PM »
so I was thinking of LBC picking up only the  configuration files that were present when LBC itself was first started.

well certainly that would be easier.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 07:48 PM »
same could be done regarding individual items on a bar -- hide when drive is removed, show when inserted..
That, actually, would be amazing!

I was just thinking about USB Safely Remove.  It has functions that can be run when drives are inserted, started, stopped, removed.  But that's a little different.  Controlling on the item level would be amazing.  One thing i wonder, though.  How would it detect if a drive is inserted/removed several times.  Would it notice each time and be constantly modifying the displayed toolbars?  Sounds like a process would be running continuously for that.  But the whole idea of this is cool.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 07:56 PM »
Would it notice each time and be constantly modifying the displayed toolbars?
yes.

Sounds like a process would be running continuously for that.

no, i think i can register windows hooks so windows notifies the process when there is a change -- no monitoring by the application is needed.