topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Anyone playing Mass Effect 2 game yet?  (Read 35191 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Anyone playing Mass Effect 2 game yet?
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 01:18 PM »
If you have to install it using origin, then that's not really another platform?

Several companies do the same thing with Steam- you buy at GamersGate, GreenManGaming, etc, and activate on steam.  Direct2Drive used to do it- not sure if they will now since they've been bought by GameFly.  I'm pretty sure it won't be available on Impulse either.  Those are the platforms- GameFly, Steam, Origin, and Impulse.  The rest are really just storefronts.

(Though I see it's on Impulse... I wonder how *that's* going to work, especially as it still says Impulse is required in the requirements)

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2012, 01:34 PM »
Mass Effect 3 is coming out soon and it will be one of the few games I play this year.
Pre-ordered already :)

ME was great, ME2 too, I hope third part will be equally good (in contrary do Dragon Age falling down).

BTW Mass Effect was one of the reasons for buying Fraps for me (2nd was Witcher 2) few months ago. And I've made 1016+4566 screenshots for ME story so far (~700 shared on Facebook).

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2012, 10:45 PM »
If you have to install it using origin, then that's not really another platform?

Several companies do the same thing with Steam- you buy at GamersGate, GreenManGaming, etc, and activate on steam.  Direct2Drive used to do it- not sure if they will now since they've been bought by GameFly.  I'm pretty sure it won't be available on Impulse either.  Those are the platforms- GameFly, Steam, Origin, and Impulse.  The rest are really just storefronts.

(Though I see it's on Impulse... I wonder how *that's* going to work, especially as it still says Impulse is required in the requirements)

yeah, i read the "platform" as vendors or methods of digital distribution. i think of Origin as more of a DRM à la Steam but there has been precedence of double DRMs such as Steam and Uplay (Ubisoft) or any other games with GfWL.

in any case, Steam is the only DRM i can/will tolerate..

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 02:07 AM »
Just in case you hadn't guessed, Origin is the biggest piece of shit ever. Yes, swearing is justified. I play Battlefield 3 and it's just... dear lord, atrocious.

- Oshyan

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 10:15 AM »
^ I don't really have a problem with it.  I don't play BF3, but I play 2142 and SWTOR, and with both of them, I don't even run origin- I just have shortcuts elsewhere.  Not sure if BF3 is different...

What problem are you having?

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2012, 08:01 PM »
You can't run BF3 directly, it always launches Origin, then loads a web page interface where you can select single, co-op, or multiplayer, which then loads the respective actual game instance. There's no easy way to launch single player directly, nor multi. The server browser is web-based and very poorly implemented. It requires a *browser plugin*. Both the browser plugin and Origin need to be updated on average at least once a week and you can't start a game until they are. Even when you do update them, sometimes it doesn't recognize it's been updated or doesn't auto-refresh, so it continues to not work. Sometimes even restarting the browser doesn't fix it. Chat and team management is horrendous and seldom works the first (or 2nd, or 3rd) time. Joining and leaving parties is confusing and error prone. I could go on and on. I suspect they integrated Origin and its various slimy tentacly components much more deeply in BF3 than the games you're referring to and not for the better.

- Oshyan

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 10:29 PM »
^ Ok... that just sounds terrible.  I can't figure out why they would do something like that.  A web page for a game launcher?  Really?

I can see that you're justified in your Origin hate.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2012, 02:32 PM »
Yeah, it's really ludicrous. I'm hopeful that they're learning their lesson from it and won't do the same in the future, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the direction they want to go...

- Oshyan

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2012, 02:46 PM »
Origin is awful and is full of bugs. I can't get their cloud storage to work at all - it always fails to connect.

I have a couple of games in Origin and it is really annoying that there is no account integration for purchases between the Origin client software and the EA website sales - both of which are really broken.

Basically EA have some good products but EA sucks the pleasure out of everything by being so crap at all they do.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2012, 08:02 PM »
Origin is awful and is full of bugs. I can't get their cloud storage to work at all - it always fails to connect.

I have a couple of games in Origin and it is really annoying that there is no account integration for purchases between the Origin client software and the EA website sales - both of which are really broken.

Basically EA have some good products but EA sucks the pleasure out of everything by being so crap at all they do.

If you have the same e-mail address, they should appear- at least, mine did.  What really irked me was that they automatically created an origin account for my star wars TOR account without telling me or giving me the option; now they say they can't merge the two accounts, so I have 3 games on one account, and one lone game on the other.

As much as I was skeptical about D2D getting bought by GameFly, I can say that beforehand, they warned if the two accounts had different e-mail addresses to change them to be the same or they wouldn't be mergeable.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2012, 12:40 AM »
 ;D ;D
The mouser IRC conversation on page 1 is classic!!  Mouser, when you go off like that, it's gold!!  Gold, Jerry!!

I'm exactly the same way.  I haven't played any video games since Unreal in college.  My video game life is usually this:
--Install game
--Look for the code for "god mode"
--play game
--shoot things mindlessly, walk through walls, marvel at the new graphics and new monsters
--wait impatiently for the cut scenes
--get extremely disappointed at the ending after god-moding for 6 hours straight.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2012, 03:59 AM »
I guess omnipotence isn't all it's cracked up to be ;D

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2012, 02:17 PM »
I guess omnipotence isn't all it's cracked up to be ;D
>:D :beerchug:

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2012, 03:18 PM »
I've just finished ME3 and…
Spoiler
I feel like someone split in my face  >:(

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2012, 03:26 PM »
no spoilers please! i haven't played it yet.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2012, 03:46 PM »
For you fenix (no spoilers, but I'll still put it in tags)

Spoiler
Note that there ARE spoilers in the links, so read at your own peril

Mass Effect 3 Ending-Hatred: 5 Reasons The Fans Are Right

Spoiler-free analysis of the Mass Effect 3 ENDING controversy

Mad about the ending to Mass Effect 3? BioWare director isn’t sorry

'Mass Effect 3' Turns Up the Bitterness of War

Casey Hudson Finally Talks About Mass Effect 3 Ending. Uh Oh.

My take: it's a story.  You have interactive choices that give the illusion that it's not, but it's a scripted story.  And just like any novel you read, the author's intent and take on it are his or her own, and won't necessarily jive.  I didn't particularly like it, but it wasn't bad.  And I definitely didn't think it was unforeseeable, except in the case that you thought that there was a pot at the end of the rainbow.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2012, 04:06 PM »
If anyone wants to get rid of their copy of ME3 i'd give it a good home!  :)

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2012, 04:29 PM »
@wraith808
SPOILERS!!!
I've read all of them after play. And I understand that autors have the right to plot the story however thay want to but…

Matrix has shitty ending but it is still fun to watch it over and over again.

With ME I've lost that. Houndreds of hours spent (I've replayed whole story not so long ago) for nothing. This is the feeling I have: all choices, getting to know game's universe (books/comics) and getting fully motional emotional just to be slapped in face. There is no sense in ending and it is iconsistent with the rest of content (i.e. exploding Relays would destroy more lifes that Reaper ever did).

I own a lot of games - many of them are poor - but this may be the first time I truly regret of playing.

BTW Two previous parts had pots full of gold and the third… the larch.

@mouser
I don't think you deserve such bad ending ;)

Either way: it is bound to EA account (despite the fact of having DVD edition).

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2012, 04:52 PM »
Either way: it is bound to EA account (despite the fact of having DVD edition).
-fenixproductions (March 14, 2012, 04:29 PM)

If you have the DVD edition, I believe someone can still use it- they just can't use the free DLC.  At least I think that's how it works.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2012, 05:29 PM »
I heard that you basically have to play multiplayer in order to get the good ending.

Source: A Mass Effect 3 PSA: Multiplayer Can Affect The Ending
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:06 PM by Deozaan »

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2012, 06:09 PM »
@Deozaan
SPOILER (warning for mouser)
As far as I heard so far it should be possible to have the best ending with single player only. All you need is to do everything (all quests and artifacts): I did that for all 3 games!
And now I should play multi - being thrown away so much? Isn't even more ridiculous

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2012, 09:06 PM »
I am almost done with ME3.. As impressive as it is, I am not enjoying it anywhere near as much as I enjoyed ME2.  I would strongly suggest anyone considering this who hasn't played ME2 -- do yourself a favor and buy ME2 instead.  It's a better experience.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2012, 08:59 AM »
@mouser
Did you finish it? Thoughts?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2012, 09:22 AM »
Finished ME3; it was impressive and good and I can't complain about anything, but ME2 was much more of an enjoyable experience for me.

I don't know if that's because ME2 was "better" or because ME2 and ME3 were similar enough that after playing ME2 all the novelty wore off.

Bottom line, I'd highly recommend playing ME2 or ME3, but probably not both, and I don't know which of the two to recommend more highly.