ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

DC Reveal/Hide feature

<< < (2/2)

SKesselman:
Of course this will only work on certain clients, those that are configured with that quote detection method *and* have quote collapsing options, heh.
- Oshyan
-JavaJones (February 09, 2010, 12:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Let me guess...Lotus Notes, perhaps?
It's the only thing I've seen that could be programmed to do this, and email clients haven't changed much in the past 10 years...
It's so incredibly useful, I can't imagine developers ignoring the beauty of this feature. Hmm. Oh, well.

JavaJones:
Gmail collapses quotes by default. Thunderbird can do quote collapsing too I believe. Outlook as well, if I recall correctly. Though the specific configs and ways of triggering it may be different in each case. ;)

- Oshyan

SKesselman:
Gmail collapses quotes by default. Thunderbird can do quote collapsing too I believe. Outlook as well, if I recall correctly. Though the specific configs and ways of triggering it may be different in each case. ;)
- Oshyan
-JavaJones (February 10, 2010, 03:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hi, and thanks for your answer.
What I really want is something where I can control the expand collapse feature, not just have conversation replies collapse.
I'm really looking for the exact feature used here - select something like the Spoiler button, write your text, and...
Spoiler...the recipient receives your email, spoiler button and function intact.
For example, "Directions to the Party"
Spoilerblah blah blah
If you don't need the directions, don't hit the button, and the email appears much more neat and organized than in a regular email with a map you don't need and directions you already know. This way, the recipients can find the info they do need much faster. Does that make better sense?

About scripts:
I'm sure the scripts suggested to me will work on my end, I just need a little time and patience to learn how to use them.
But, I wonder how they will come out on the recipient's end. Like getting a red X in an email where a photo was meant to be.
This is difficult, as when I used this feature in Lotus Notes at work, everyone else in the company ran Lotus Notes, too.
We all had the same I/T guys, platforms, programs and servers and all Notes features worked perfectly for all of us, all the time.
But outside of work, people use so many clients with so many different features written in all these different codes, etc.
I can't imagine it working without actually running a script on the recipient's computer.
I'm afraid that this would bring up a warning message, which would have the user say, "No, do not run this script".
Especially since most people I know, myself included, don't even know what script the message is referring to. The script names are too cryptic.
These are all just guesses, though.

Thanks again for your reply, I think I'll check out Thunderbird as you suggested. If that doesn't work, I'm going to just keep on hunting!

JavaJones:
Ah I understand. Well, I think the bottom line is that A: you may find solutions that will work in some cases but B: like almost everything in the email world that is not just plain text, it will be non-standard and thus not necessarily widely supported, and you will simply not be able to guarantee it working in all browsers, and worse C: the "fail" case may actually look pretty ugly, depending on the email client, e.g. code in-line making the email unreadable, or even blocking in the case of scripting, as many email clients do for security.

So, cool idea, but probably not feasible at this time. :(

- Oshyan

SKesselman:
Another thought: try fooling the email client into thinking something is a quote. Some use pretty simplistic ways of determining this, e.g. > character prefix. Of course this will only work on certain clients, those that are configured with that quote detection method *and* have quote collapsing options, heh.

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (February 09, 2010, 12:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just tried this on gmail. No go. But thanks, anyway.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version