ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

DC Reveal/Hide feature

(1/2) > >>

SKesselman:
Hi,

What is the reveal hide feature here? It it a script that I can use in an email, web mail or Outlook?

I want it!!!!

The history & reasons:

I used to work at IBM and write step-by-step instructions for employees.

We all used Lotus Notes, which allowed me to create reveal / hide sections for each step of the instructions. That was very useful, as some employees required much less assistance than others. Anyone could just click on the section that pertained to them, follow the instructions and be done with it.

The emails appeared clean and concise, saved people time and in some cases confusion.

I would really like to make emails like that again. Thanks.

KynloStephen66515:
I am assuming you mean the 'Spoiler' option, if so, just click the button that says 'SP' (in between the topic title and the smileys) and type between the tags!

Very easy to use
SpoilerJust click to reveal...im only guessing this is what you mean :P

as far as i am aware, this is only for use on the forum, you cannot use this tag on any other platform (unless you see the option)

Shades:
MS Word:
    * Hide selected text -- Click CTRL + Shift + H
    * Display Hidden Text -- Click CTRL + Shift + H
    * Include Hidden Text for printing -- Click CTRL + P, click Options Button & select Hidden text. Print.

How to Hide Text in Notepad

Here are tips to hide/show text in html. HTML is usable for email messages. Maybe it is not what you look for, but it can be "inspirational".

All these tips may even come in handy for more general use as well.

Ready made script.

EDIT:
Added one more link

SKesselman:
Thank you !
Oops! Now, I remember asking this question before.

What I wanted to do was on the last link.
It won't work in Word, so I copied the script and played around with it on gmail.
It didn't work there either, but that is only because I don't really know what to do with a script, yet.
Last time I inquired about this, someone else sent me that same link and I chickened out.
I wouldn't even try to learn how to use it.
I'm a little more motivated, now. I really like that feature.
Also, now that my computer is in working order, I'm a little more open to trying new things.

I've bookmarked the script link for later, and when I have more time (in mid-March), I'll certainly come back and ask for some references to instructions on how to actually implement a script.

Thanks, again!  :)

JavaJones:
Another thought: try fooling the email client into thinking something is a quote. Some use pretty simplistic ways of determining this, e.g. > character prefix. Of course this will only work on certain clients, those that are configured with that quote detection method *and* have quote collapsing options, heh.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version